Anyone have Beyond COuntless Doorways yet?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Psion,

Must have missed those posts. (I do work during the week now you know. Need some way to keep up with this great stuff.) But yeah I feel the same way. Planar handbook was like "Hey lookie! Planes! Players want stuff from them!"

BCD "Planes are where wonders, horrors, nightmares and dreams collide." There might not be as many mechanics but the fun in reading and playing, way, way, way better.

Tur,

Like Psion said, if you want a non-DTR thingie, WW does supply a less secure site to download PDFs off of. (That was how I got Malhavoc Press PDFs before DTR came out.)

John,

Each plane is about 10-20 pages yes. But really it's more fun to kill trees this way via printing. ;) 224 pages and it only cost me 17 dollars. PDFs rule.

Krypter,

Much like Psion said, each plane (for the most part) is kind of almost a demi-plane that either drifts in and out of the Great Wheel, or even flexes beyond the normal deal of Great Wheel. (Remember the Infinite Staircase? Well think that only way cooler.) I'd say about 75-85% you can use in a Great Wheel setting, making most accessible much like Eberron's cosmology is set up.

RBB

First Post
Planar Handbook has a couple of useful sections--and glitzy production values, of course--but I agree that BCD is far more interesting and imaginative. I would spend the thirteen bucks just to read it even if I never thought I'd use the planes or hooks in my game.

Though I haven't finished reading BCD, I think I can tell which parts are Monte-authored just by how transparent the mechanics are. Monte would never have an encounter with Will save, Will save, then Will save again or another slightly clunky process. DMs (both armchair & haggered real ones :)) sometimes debate Malhavoc power levels and more esoteric balance questions, but Monte (and it seems Mike Mearls) keep rules processes out of the way. I'm not complaining about the non-Monte chapters, though. It is well worth it to have the different authors' takes on the planes--it just makes me appreciate M & M more.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
RBB,

Eh while I thoroughly LOVE Mike's work, Monte's doesn't always thrill me. I will say though I like the concepts here AND the presentations. But for me this book is just about what made Planescape and planar idealogy fun.

PC,

Yeah it's a great article. :) Thanks again for the hard work on this one.

BryonD

Hero
Very good product.

I'm wondering if The Maze is directly inspired by Fredrick Pohl's Gateway, or if the similiarities are coincidence.

Ashy

First Post
Nightfall - could you drop me an email please? I've been trying to get your ear for a moment. ashy (ampersand) enkwell (((period) com

;)

Or, you can check your messenger over at the mortality boards for the scoop. :p

Sorry for the hijak!

Remove ads