D&D 4E Anyone know if KQ is going 4e?

Rechan

Adventurer
I actually have exactly the same perspective, only in reverse. I recently withdrew a 4th edition proposal from a publisher that was tentatively going to move forward with it because I have no interest in designing for that game. At least not at this time. If the Pathfinder RPG does well enough, probably not ever. 4E leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Is that freelancing position still open? Because I'll take it!

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Is that freelancing position still open? Because I'll take it!

It wasn't a position per se, it was more of an opportunity, so I made a pitch, and they liked it. Then the GSL hit, and I took the opportunity to go deeper into the core books, and I discovered that I really, really didn't like this version of the game. The publisher understood how I felt and didn't fault me for it. I'd go into more details, but I'd rather keep the specifics between me and the publisher.

I'm sad there support for 4E from KQ doesn't seem to be dependable deal.

I know I'm not the best sponsor for his projects, LiveJournal just makes me too wiggy to help out much, but I might have been for 4E.

I'll probably be converting the Arabian Adventures project into 4E for my own group's efforts, so there's that much at least.

Monkey King

Explorer
4E for Wrath of the River King, No 4E for KQ Yet

Yes, I'm working up a 4E patron project right now, called Wrath of the River King. That's the only 4E project on my calendar.

I'd be happy to offer 4E content for KQ (any new system needs a lot of support articles), and I'm enjoying designing for the new system.

But there's two reasons to hold off. First, the GSL makes it pretty much impossible to support 4E in Kobold Quarterly under that license. I find this disappointing, but it did make the decision very easy.

And second, there's been quite limited reader support for it. The 3E fans has been vocal in their support for KQ, and have subscribed in good numbers. The 4E fans .... haven't really spoken up or subscribed.

So, I'll be offering limited material useful for 4E in issue #6, without the GSL. I had hoped that the new edition would not split the gaming public, but it seems clear that a large minority of players are sticking with 3E. And many of them are KQ subscribers.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Oh, I'm allowed to, absolutely. But the simple, brutal truth is, I don't want to. I find designing for 4E to be much more enjoyable, and much more to my taste, under something like 85% of circumstances, if not more. (It's the only reason I haven't been pestering Paizo for work.)

If I ever have a large gap in my schedule where I can't find any 4E work (or fiction work), I'm not saying I'll never go back to 3.5 design no matter what--but I don't think it likely, and it's not something I especially want to do.

Well, you are the one who said (if I'm remembering correct) that the thought of running combat made in v.3.5 after playing 4e made you want to throw up, so your answer didn't surprise me at all.

:)

Well, you are the one who said (if I'm remembering correct) that the thought of running combat made in v.3.5 after playing 4e made you want to throw up, so your answer didn't surprise me at all.

:)

Um, I don't believe I ever said anything quite like that. :eek:

I certainly did say that I wouldn't want to go back to 3.5 combat, but the idea doesn't make me nauseous at all. It's just unappealing.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Oh, I'm allowed to, absolutely. But the simple, brutal truth is, I don't want to. I find designing for 4E to be much more enjoyable, and much more to my taste, under something like 85% of circumstances, if not more. (It's the only reason I haven't been pestering Paizo for work.)

If I ever have a large gap in my schedule where I can't find any 4E work (or fiction work), I'm not saying I'll never go back to 3.5 design no matter what--but I don't think it likely, and it's not something I especially want to do.

So when will we see Lion's Press updated for 4e?

Remove ads