D&D 3E/3.5 Anyone lose their enthusiasm with 3E or purchasing 3E products?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
RigaMortus2 said:
Anyone lose their enthusiasm with 3E or purchasing 3E products?
Yep. Almost about a month after the 4e announcement I not only lost my enthusiasm for playing D&D, I lost my enthusiasm for the dribbles of 4e news. I've given up. Here's the funny thing, there was nothing in the particulars of 4e news that turned me away, I was either neutral or positive on each new reported change. Of course, this happened to fit coincidentally with a tightening of my discretionary budget.

I might get back when 4e comes out, but we'll have to see if I've left roleplaying altogether by then. I've wondered if a lifetime RPGer (like me) leaves gaming for a half-year, if that person tends to stay away from gaming forever or does that person come back at some time. Hmm.

Right now I just don't foresee anything in 4e luring me back to gaming when it comes out.

ivocaliban

First Post
I just ordered the Rules Compendium. I've purchased more than three dozen third party 3e books in the past three months. There are still a handful of 3e books I'd like to have when all is said and done. I have no intentions of purchasing 4e products in 2008.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I probably should have been a little more specific in my original post...

I was mainly speaking to the people that were (a) still into D&D 3E up until the point 4E was announced and (b) people who ARE interested in 4E since hearing the news and (c) people who still have current 3E D&D campaigns running (and are interested in 4E).

mxyzplk

Explorer
It hasn't chilled us really. Pathfinder is keeping my gaming group's enthusiasm for 3.5e alive and well, though most people certainly aren't buying anything 3.5e at full price when people are dumping their loads at Half Price Books already. In fact, with the sales and whatnot (like the Green Ronin sale) some people are "stocking up". And, to be fair, I don't know anyone in my group that bought anything since Bo9S (don't get me wrong, we all liked Bo9S, it's just that everything else has seemed "blah" for a while. And now post announcement, the Rules Compendium was underwhelming, and of course there's no reason to buy 4e preview books when you can read all about it on ENWorld.)

It is a hard time for game retailers; I spoke to the owner of my FLGS and he said that the period from the announcement to 4e coming out is sucking on ice. I don't think they should have delayed the announcement, however - in fact they were a little shady in how they kept saying "4e? No plans for it!" publicly until right before the announcement. People deserve to know, and the backlash would have been 100% more if they had stealthed it (especially because that doesn't work any more in the Internet age - someone would leak something).

TroyXavier

First Post
Not in the least. Though I'll probably play 4th ed at some point, still plenty of time to get some 3.5 in and therefore still plenty of books to get.

(Heck I still read some of my 2nd ed books, so....)

RigaMortus2

First Post
TroyXavier said:
Not in the least. Though I'll probably play 4th ed at some point, still plenty of time to get some 3.5 in and therefore still plenty of books to get.

(Heck I still read some of my 2nd ed books, so....)

I still have my 2e books too (most are torn to shreds btw, overused :)) but I haven't played 2E in like 15 years... But I use them to ideas out of, mostly names when I am stuck on the name for a character or city...

Cyronax

Explorer
howandwhy99 said:
I don't buy d20 or D&D primarily anymore, but I did get two very good books recently.

Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk
Iron Kingdoms' Five Fingers: Ports of Deceit.

Both are good quality books.

The Ruins of Greyhawk was the best WotC product since the Red Hand of Doom (and then
the Eberron Campaign Setting before it).

As a GH fan, I needed Ruins of Greyhawk even though 4e had been announced already. Since that point I haven't wanted to waste a dime. I also have sold off a good many 3.5 books to used book stores, keeping only the core books, the Spell Compendium, my favorite adventures, and the 3.0/3.5 GH and a few Eberron books (all insurance if I dislike 4e and/or concurrently play in both systems with different groups).

C.I.D.

Cbas_10

First Post
I'm still buying some 3.5 books...though that is mostly because I had to re-purchase them after they were all lost....long story...not fun to tell or experience.

Still, I started the re-purchase after the announcement of 4e. The other DM in my group (we change back and forth every few months or so) will most likely start running 4e when it comes out, but on "my turn" I'll most likely stay with 3.5 (and maybe start to integrate some more of my radical house rule ideas as time progresses). Not because I'm a 4e-hater or old-fart grognard; I just like 3.5 and all of the ideas I already have prepared and ready for play.

So, anyway....this re-purchase could not have come at a better time. With the announcement of 4e, a lot of 3.5 books have dropped in price. So, my need to re-purchase has been a lot less painful than I feared.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Eric Anondson said:
I've wondered if a lifetime RPGer (like me) leaves gaming for a half-year, if that person tends to stay away from gaming forever or does that person come back at some time.
IME, "Old" RPGers tend to come back after a stint away. They get a hankering for the worlds they create, a desire for a good, old fashion dungeon crawl, and a taste for goblin blood again. Everyone gets burned out or tired of the "same old thing" after a while and some time away does a mind good.

Remove ads