Anyone not getting the 3.5 books? (at least right away)

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I ordered mine a while ago from walmart, but as more and more information has become available, I've started to really doubt this purchase. Some of the changes were needed, so much so that there were common house rules for them. However, many of the changes I simply thought "why are they doing that, was it really a problem?" Even after reading some of the rationales for the changes, I still am not convinced about the merits of the changes.

Monte's review also illustrated a lot of the negative aspects of the revision. Some of what was in his review I had not heard before, and despite him saying 'go ahead and get 3.5', the rest of his article read pretty critically, so much so that combined with some of the other bits of info I've learned about 3.5, I think I'll be cancelling my order.

Anyone else put off by some of the changes? There are just so many, it's almost like an entirely new game in some areas...

Later.

satori01

First Post
I wont be getting them right away, more to do with a very hectic schedule and the fact that I recently moved, and need to develop a new campaign. I will check the SRD before deciding to buy.

I'll probably pick up the MM right away, or at least within a few weeks. The other books will probably straggle into my collection throughout the rest of the year, though -- I don't see any urgent need to pick any of them up right away.

Voadam

Legend
I'm only getting the srd at this point. The campaign I'm in is going 3.5 (we had already switched to some d20modern srd versions of spells like haste) but I'm just not going to buy new books right now.

I'll probably eventually get them but it might be a year or so.

As a freelance writer I'll need to be up on the new OGC but that will be srd only anyway.

Crothian

First Post
I'm not picking them up right away. I'm trying to get a friend to run Mutants and Mastermind, I'm running a Buffy game, and then I have a reguliar D&D game going on. So, it's not like there is this over welming need to get them now. I may pick them up at Gen Con, but I doubt it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Many changes have been chewed over pretty well here, butI'm still left with the feeling that one can't really tell what's up without seeing the whole thing at once.

So, I'll be downloading the SRD right away. If I think we'll be using the new rules enough that separate books are called for, then new books will be purchased.

I'm also expectign that I will pick up a new PHB, simply so that if I run into a pickup 3.5 game, I'll be prepared. Going to an EN World Boston Gameday ignorant just woudln't do :)

How far is Boston from Detroit, a good 7-8 hours? I'm tempted one of these days to make a road trip for these infamous events. Infamous in the Three Amigos sense, of course! ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Joshua Dyal said:
How far is Boston from Detroit, a good 7-8 hours? I'm tempted one of these days to make a road trip for these infamous events. Infamous in the Three Amigos sense, of course! ;)

MapQuest claims it's about 716 miles, and at an average of about 60 mph, the trip will be completed in about 11.75 hours. You'd have to drive like a bat out of Hades to make it here in under 8 hours.

So far, the Boston gatherings have been single-evening events. Meaning that in total you'd probably spend 4 times as much time on the road as you would playing a game. While the gatherings are fun, are they that much fun? Only your heairdresser knows for sure :)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Nope, I'm playing Mutants and Masterminds and Spycraft at the moment.

If it becomes necessary to run 3.5E D&D I will likley just update my books with the SRD.

Green Knight

First Post
I was about to lay out the cash for them the other day, but then I thought to myself "Hey, I'm not actually playing IN a D&D campaign right now, so why bother?". So I'll be spending that money on CrossGen TPB's, instead. I plan on getting them, but I'd prefer to do so when I actually NEED them. Not spend the money now and hope to actually be able to put them to use at some indeterminate point in the future.

Remove ads