• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone not getting the 3.5 books? (at least right away)

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm currently playing 2 games of Mutants and Masterminds (well, playing in one and running one). When my M&M game is over, I plan on doing a 7th Sea game. After that I'm thinking d20 Modern. That said, I am in Living Greyhawk, so I might have to pick up at least the PHB eventually.

Umbran said:
MapQuest claims it's about 716 miles, and at an average of about 60 mph, the trip will be completed in about 11.75 hours. You'd have to drive like a bat out of Hades to make it here in under 8 hours.

So far, the Boston gatherings have been single-evening events. Meaning that in total you'd probably spend 4 times as much time on the road as you would playing a game. While the gatherings are fun, are they that much fun? Only your heairdresser knows for sure :)
Ah, that's further than I thought. Scratch that idea.

Arnwyn

First Post
Not getting the books, as my players all voted that they do not want to buy brand new PHBs all over again so early. They say they'll be ready to buy new books when their current ones fall apart (many years from now).

(As DM, I think that I'll buy the 3.5 MM, though, and use that. Improved outsiders? Oh yeah.)

Bastoche

First Post
I don't intend to buy them at all. I'll download the SRD and maybe buy the three books with a bunch of other players to split the costs.

I liked the idea of portable books, so I'm thinking downloading the SRD and editing in in a small format.

Tuerny

First Post
I'm not buying them.....

...at least for the moment.

I maaay buy the MM and DMG at some point, but I am planning on making Arcana Unearthed my new PHB so I have little desire to really purchase a new PHB.

My opinions generally range from indifferent to negative about the changes, so I am really not all that motivated. Though I do have to admit the new DM's screen is pretty nice and will be using that at least until the Arcana Unearthed GM's screen comes out.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Not immediately, because I have Arcana Unearthed, Testament, and other purchases planned, that that $90.00 would be better off going to at Gencon. I will likely get them online somewhere in August if we decide to switch.

Our group has at least two games currently running, and a desire to in the near future branch out to some board games or something, so the need will come later.

Xeriar

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
Anyone else put off by some of the changes? There are just so many, it's almost like an entirely new game in some areas...

I think, as the changes came rolling in, I was just like 'well, we can houserule this, or go back to the old rule for that, I can live with that, and...' so on.

The handedness issue in Monte's review was the straw that broke the camel, IMO. I've purchased all of the WotC books to date (in some cases, 2 or 3 copies - I purchase books for DMs).

So, none of my DMs are particularly enthused about it. Most people I know are, at best, 'eh'.

So here it comes down to: Is it worth it for me to spend $250-$300 for at most 80 pages of new content that will get used in the end?

ejja_1

First Post
SRD then check it out by playing in someone who is already using it's group. If I like what I see then I will buy all three.
If I dont I wont.
Simple yellow different.........

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I can't afford to get them right away. I only have a limited amount of money to spend on gaming, and I'm trying to keep up with HackMaster and Decipher's Lord of the Rings RPG releases. I want the 3.5 books, but I'll have to get 'em one at a time.

Remove ads