• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone picked up Midnight Fury of Shadows

Varangian

First Post
I haven't seen a review of the Midnight setting boxed set, Fury of Shadow. Has anyone picked it up? If so, any comments?

Varangian

mac1504

Explorer
I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It's well worth the $50 price tag in my book (although, of course I am biased as I love the Midnight campaign setting). The fold-out map is great quality and is not just a reprint of the one found in the setting book, but also includes new locations found in the campaign material.

The box set comes with some character sheets, but in this day-and-age of auto-calculating and excel spreadsheet character sheets, it seemed a bit of wasted effort to me. There's a nice map booklet of some of the areas described in the campaign book as well, all done very professionally- although a bit darker than I prefer. I love the DM screen as it is half the height of most DM screens (which has always been a pet peeve of mine, for if you the DM are sitting, it doesn't allow for you to see over it to your players.) I wish they would have packed a little more information/references on to the screen, but what they did include is rather useful and convenient to have when running a Midnight campaign. No original artwork on the screen, the art is from other publications in the setting, but it is very nicely done.

The campaign book itself is the real seller to the set, however. I thought it was very well written (very few typos and grammatical errors that I could pick out) and it really thought out the invasion of the elflands by Izrador very well. There are a ton of plot ideas and adventure hooks to get any Midnight campaign going, or to perhaps steer a current one in a new direction. I am running Crown of Shadow (the intro adventure to Midnight) right now, and I am looking forward to tying that into the war in Erethor that Fury depicts so well.

What I also really liked about the campaign book was that there is only one prestige class, a few feats, and mostly all fluff.

Last edited:

Teneb

Explorer
I think Fury is the strongest Midnight product to date. As mac said, the production value is very very high. The main book is absolutely packed with ambience, plot ideas, background, and a full campaign arc pretty much ready to go. Also, its not linear in the least, allowing DMs to deviate at their leisure. Essentially, its "here's one way the invasion could go", and they give you the tools to follow or make up your own path. Its an excellent product.

Bonus: there's plenty of room in the box to store other Midnight books, making transport easier. Seriously, get this.

twofalls

DM Beadle
I've purchased it but not read it. I run a couple of game groups and am doing the Worlds Largest Dungeon with one of them, and an established Kalamar game with the other. I plan to run Midnight becouse its such a fabulous game, and so I purchase everything that FFG puts out for it. Everything in the box looks great, but as for its utility I can only guess that its up to thier standard excellence when it comes to thier Midnight line.

Varangian

First Post
It sounds good, thanks for the quick response. I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a formal review of what I think is the first boxed set in years.

Varangian

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
This setting, more than anything except Iron Kingdoms, is something I would love to run. But since I am getting ready to start up the aforementioned Iron Kingdoms, I won't get the opportunity. Though I would love to hear about what goes on in people's Midnight campaigns.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Working on a review of both this and Fireborn. However, there are a lot of other Gen Con goodies I'm still working on. My next review will probably be Races of Stone followed by Modern Magic and probably the Cavalier's Handbook. Sorry for the wait on an official one.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
So, how about some spoilers?

The worst case, obviously, is that the Shadow crushes all resistance to him. What's the best case how the invasion could play out for the Resistance?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads