• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Anyone played to 20th level and kept going?

Bards do look awesome. I've never been able to get into the whole sing-songy thing. It is so hard for me to imagine some guy singing or orating on the battlefield. I keep trying to come up with a bard concept I like, but it always looks a little goofy in my mind's eye. I can see the power of the bard. I was thinking of a valor bard archer that used animate objects to animate some of his arrows when he ended up in melee combat. I thought that would look pretty cool.

Sorry for the derailing, but...if you do not like the sing-songy thing you could have a try a different flavor reskin with no mechanical changes which I think is pretty good: the Pillars of Eternity videogame "Chanters" concept which I vastly prefer to the vanilla D&D one.

Basically Chanters are keepers of the ancient lore who are strongly liked by spirits of the past, their "songs" are more like ritual rhymes that evoke the power of some specific spirit of the past to help them. Their songs powers may actually be considered invokations to past Loremasters helping them.

So when they sing "One Dozen Stood Against the Power of the Saint" phrase which improves morale they refer to a specific history in the world. It could be interesting to create similar things for your world, Bards do not have a huge variety of singy powers, not cumbersome to do.

Just in case you are not familiar with PoE, I found their solution to "sing-songy" brilliant and the lore is easily available online, sorry again for the derail.

Remove ads