• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone seen Underworld Extended Edition?

Kai Lord

Hero
I was looking forward to the new extended Underworld DVD but didn't want to buy it sight unseen and haven't been able to rent it. Anyone seen it? What did you think?

Red Spire Press

First Post
I'll let you guys know, as my copy just arrived. Underworld was no masterpiece but I loved the atmosphere and visuals, so I can forgive some of the blatantly cheesy acting and the generally thin plot. It appeals to my inner goth, which I tried but failed to suppress many years ago. :) I'll probably watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Red Spire Press

First Post
I made the mistake of thinking I'd actually have spare time during the week. Won't do that again. ;) So I did watch it and have a couple of general thoughts.

Firstly, I didn't notice anything all that diferent from the theatrical release. A little more unnecessary dialogue from Michael, that's all. Then again, this may be perceived as a good thing, as many extended releases and special editions have very choppy edit points in and around the new scenes. I didn't notice any.

My second thought is that this movie doesn't stand up so well to a second viewing. When i saw it in theatres, I settled comfortably into the atmosphere and mood of it all and had a really good time. But watching it on DVD, I found myself squirming in embarassment a few times when a scene got especially cheezy. The same goes for the acting -- Craven was just as terrible as I remembered him in the theatre, but everyone else seemed to get a little worse.

Anyays, that's just one publisher's small review. :) My conclusion: if you already own the regular version, I can't see this edition being worth buying as well.

Armin D. Sykes

First Post
Most of the new stuff could be seen as simply extensions of what was already there in the theatrical release. There's some additional exposition that helps us see why Michael is in that city, and allows Selene to sympathize with him some more. There are actually several new bits that really help a lot to flesh out how Erika (the blonde vampire girl) feels, and why she helps Selene escape the mansion (which was certainly possible to see in the original, but the new material helps a lot).

Otherwise, mostly little things here and there, as I recall.

As far as extras, they have a whole new commentary track, with Len Wiseman (the director), Kate Beckinsale (Selene), and Scott Speedman (Michael). This commentary replaces the one found on the first DVD release.

Hope that helps,

Armin

Armin D. Sykes

First Post
Kai Lord said:
I heard the EE has an earlier reveal of a Lycan in wolf form. Where does it appear?

I don't think there is an earlier reveal. I'm not actually sure how there *could* be one. The first time you see a wolfy Lycan is during the subway fight, just as in the theatrical release, and that's pretty darn close to the start of the movie.

Armin

Remove ads