Your 2023 Emmys Recap

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
As a public service to all those people who were watching Baker "Joe Montana 2" Mayfield torch the Liberty Bell and the statute of Rocky last night while proudly announcing that Cheesesteaks are overrated .... I provide to you the full list of what happened at the Emmys last night!

1. Succession and The Bear won everything. Absolutely everything? Well, no. But close enough.

2. Elton John got an Emmy (for his farewell concert broadcast on Disney+), which makes him an official EGOT. Sorry, that's SIR Elton John, the EGOT!

3. Beef got most of the awards in the "limited series" categories, including a well-deserved Emmy for Steven Yeun. Which just proves the point I always state- the best thing that Walking Dead ever did was to kill off Glenn, because it allowed Steven Yeun to star in good stuff.

4. Jennifer Coolidge accepted her Emmy and dedicated her victory to "all the evil gays." If you haven't seen White Lotus, please watch it before responding to that! Also, Jennifer Coolidge is a national treasure.

5. The Emmys were so tired of John Oliver and his show (Last Week Tonight) winning its category that they created a new category and this year placed his show in it with tough competition. John Oliver won anyway.

You are now fully updated.

My personal notes- I can't really argue with any of the choices (Succession and The Bear were truly two of the outstanding shows of the past year, and Beef was one of my personal favorites), but their total dominance was surprising. I was somewhat surprised that Quinta Brunson (Abbott Elementary) beat out Natasha Lyonne (Peacock) for outstanding lead actress in a comedy series in one of the few categories that didn't have a Succession/The Bear/Beef actor in it, but otherwise most of the picks went to form. Also? No one has Peacock.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

I don't think he is entirely correct ... I think that there will always be a market for innovative and high-brow shows .... but I also don't think that he is wrong.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the firehose of content that we have witnessed is being clamped down on, and because of that, fewer chances on great shows, and more content for the masses (and by algorithm). And have you met the masses? They kinda suck. :)

I kid. But not totally. I do have some hope that the growing international market will continue to provide better content. There are some real foreign-language gems. And even if the firehose is lessened, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't watched tons of shows from the past five years that are pretty awesome because there's just been too dang many of them.

Finally, I would say that overall values have increased- even the "bad" shows are better than they used to be. I started watching Ratched the other night. It's not a great show. It's not even (by today's standard's) a good show.* But between the production values and the acting, if it had aired ten of fifteen years ago ... it would have blown people away. IMO.

*It is, however, a perfectly cromulent show. Which sometimes is all you can ask for.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I don't think he is entirely correct ... I think that there will always be a market for innovative and high-brow shows .... but I also don't think that he is wrong.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the firehose of content that we have witnessed is being clamped down on, and because of that, fewer chances on great shows, and more content for the masses (and by algorithm). And have you met the masses? They kinda suck. :)

I kid. But not totally. I do have some hope that the growing international market will continue to provide better content. There are some real foreign-language gems. And even if the firehose is lessened, that's not necessarily a bad thing. I haven't watched tons of shows from the past five years that are pretty awesome because there's just been too dang many of them.

Finally, I would say that overall values have increased- even the "bad" shows are better than they used to be. I started watching Ratched the other night. It's not a great show. It's not even (by today's standard's) a good show.* But between the production values and the acting, if it had aired ten of fifteen years ago ... it would have blown people away. IMO.

*It is, however, a perfectly cromulent show. Which sometimes is all you can ask for.
Yeap, I think things definitely flow with the business. Anytime the old traditions are challenged with new markets there is a flux. We are in a churn right now and it likely means it will difficult to access innovative and high brow programming at a level we have enjoyed the last 10 years.

Though, you gotta love Chase's line, "you think your Grandmother is risk averse, try the networks.." lol

Remove ads