• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Anyone still running a 3.0 game ?

Legildur

First Post
3.0 for long running (11 years now?) PbEM game and 3.5 for tabletop.

And my head hurts trying to recall the changes between them :)

Generally we like 3.5 better, but dislike weapon sizes, cover for dummies, and some other minor stuff.

PbEM game doesn't really miss the 3.5E ruleset and bits of it have crept in (mostly feats and PrCs and some skills and spells). In fact, there are 2 players in the PbEM game that resent moving on from 2E and reckon 1E is where it is at.....

And agree that much of 3.0 can be ported into 3.5. Particularly PrCs and the like.

Testament said:
Things like Divine Metamagic, or the Orb spells I'm guessing?

Actually the WarMage and Practiced Spellcaster leaps to mind. The first is completely out of whack compared to a 3.5 sorceror and the second IMO negates the need for the Theurge PrC. Divine metamagic was a little questionable and seemed more appropriate as a PrC special ability. I think my dislike of CD was primarily because so little of it could be integrated into my home-brew gameworld.

kenobi65

First Post
Henry said:
One of our DMs is running a game where we can use 3.0 or 3.5 rules for characters - as long as we are consistent for that character. I'm using a 3.5 fighter, and another player is using a 3.0 fighter. I keep kidding him that I DROWN by different rules from him! :)

LOL. It's almost like TORG, with each character bringing his own reality along with him. :)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
3.5 with 3.0 weapon size (explained for the players in the online/pdf Player Guide).

Just finished a 3.0 module: no problems. But it was low level and not too big. For something like RtToEE there probably would be some issues. But as has been mentioned there is a massive conversion/errata/faq available specifically for that:

http://zans.clanplaid.net/v35/

jcfiala

Explorer
I'm currently in two 3.0 campaigns, and one 3.5 one.

One 3.0 has been in 'Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil' for over a year now (we play about once a month), and if I'd known of the nice 3.5 conversion that had been done, I might have used it. Instead, as late in the game as we are, I'm not planning to convert. (This one I run.)

Another 3.0 game is in an original world, and we've been sticking with 3.0 because at the time we started the campaign, most of the players didn't have 3.5 books and were just playing this game - so we stuck to 3.0 for financial reasons, I guess you could say. When the current GM gets tired and 'retires' to hand the group to someone else, though, we'll probably go 3.5. (We do use some 3.5 rules, though - my Monk/Wizard fit the 'Practiced Spellcaster' feat and 'Arcane Fist' prestigue classes so well that he let me use them. I mean, I'd never heard of the Arcane Fist class before the book came out, and I already met all of the prerequisites!)

Oddly enough, my new 'Expedition to the Barrier Peaks' is a conversion from 1.0 to 3.5. :)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Most of the group hadn't bought PHBs yet, so we moved to 3.5 when it came out, otherwise, we never would have switched.

From 3.0, we kept: weapon sizes, reach, facing, sizes of creatures on the mat (horses are not square, ogres take up 5ft), and cover, and a few other things, but I haven't run 3.x since the end of last year, so it's bit hazy now.

Remove ads