• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Appearance and Realities ... at the BOX OFFICE

Undrave

Legend
Do you remember that miserable, terrible, no good "What were they thinking" live-action remake of the Lion King?

....yep. That one. $543m domestic, and $1.66b total.

Then shouldn't THAT be the Top Grossing Animated movie of all time? Because it is an animated movie...

Undrave

Legend
It's almost like Disney has influence on how these things are reported, and by making Lion King NOT ANIMATED,* was able to make Frozen 2 the highest grossing animated film.

The Mouse has powers that we mortals cannot even fathom.

*In fairness, I'd just say it was the highest grossing "OH GOD IT'S SO CREEPY I NEED TO TEAR OUT MY EYES" film.

I mean... it's all in the same pocket so why not?

Augh... anti-animation elitism is the WORST...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, a little tidbit caught my eye.

Right now Rise of Skywalker is at $451 million or so gross, with a very disappointing China (very, I mean, Star Wars in general has flamed out there, but ... sheesh).

Um... BoxOfficeMojo reports that Rise of Skywalker is at $451 domestic gross. Running $918 million total worldwide.

This means that it is well behind both TFA and TLJ in terms of both 18-day totals, and will likely finish a distant third in box office for the new trilogy. Oops.

Note that "distant" is relative. Rise of Skywalker is still expected to clear a billion dollars. Boo hoo.

Meanwhile, Frozen 2, which was greeted by a universal, "Eh, not too bad, but whatever ..." is the top grossing animated film ... OF ALL TIME. I mean, woah. Already.

"Already" is "46 days". You are comparing one movie's 3 weeks to another movie's 6 week total.

I would never, in a million years, have guessed that. A few years ago, I used to follow this more closely ... but I had no idea. The Lion King? Really?

Yes, really. What, you forgot that whining children are really phenomenally good at getting their parents to take them to the movies? :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads