April's D&D Feedback Survey Results

WotC has revealed the results of its latest monthly feedback survey. Last month's survey dealt with game scheduling habits, character races, and Adventurer's League content. Additionally, a new survey has been posted covering problem spells, the DRAGON+ mobile app, and the Waterborne Adventures UA column.

WotC has revealed the results of its latest monthly feedback survey. Last month's survey dealt with game scheduling habits, character races, and Adventurer's League content. Additionally, a new survey has been posted covering problem spells, the DRAGON+ mobile app, and the Waterborne Adventures UA column.

The new survey is here. April's survey results are here, but below is a quick list of the take-home points.

• It turns out that that 1st-6th level games are still the most common a year after D&D 5E's launch.
  • The most likely end point of a campaign is 10th-12th level.
  • There is a preference for more open, sandboxy adventures.
  • Smaller races are seen as weaker options.
  • Adventurer's League content is reasonably well received, with specifically designed adventures more popular than Tyranny of Dragons adaptions for AL.

DaveDash

Explorer
I don't think the complaint about small races was necessarily related to weapons. It could just be they strike people as too plain, not interesting enough. I know that's how they strike me for the most part.

The reason they're not popular in my group is no dark vision (except the deep gnome, which we haven't introduced yet).

pemerton

Legend
I'm not really convinced this is Actually An Issue In Play (tm). The loss of heavy weapons should be a non-issue for a character created to be small and quick rather than big and strong. Feats are optional sauce, not a core part of race comparison.

<snip>

I don't know that I buy that a 3-ft tall halfling losing out on a few points of damage from the game's heaviest weapons is a weakness that eclipses the lucky trait, functionally (as much as it may in some people's heads).
I think if people are reporting that it is Actually An Issue in Play then it probably is.

Feats may be an optional part of the game (but then so is any given race, isn't it?) but if a group is using feats, and if small races aren't eligible for one of the known strongest feats, that will be a weakness for a small race character, and a reason not to play one.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I think if people are reporting that it is Actually An Issue in Play then it probably is.

Feats may be an optional part of the game (but then so is any given race, isn't it?) but if a group is using feats, and if small races aren't eligible for one of the known strongest feats, that will be a weakness for a small race character, and a reason not to play one.

But do you know how many people actually took the survey and reported this as a problem?

I'm sure it was reported by some people but unless we know how many people actually made this complaint then it really doesn't say anything. If 25 out of 1000 said it's a problem then overall it really isn't a problem. That is the trouble with a lot of these surveys. You could have less than 1% of the total gaming population making it seem like the majority has spoken.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I don't think it's the feat.

Really, taking GWM or Sharpshooter before maxxing out your Strength or Dexterity is a hard decision for a nonfighter.

I think the reach issue is Two Weapon Fighting. Great Weapon fighting and Reach are the power fighting styles from level 5 and later. And if you go Defensive, the best defensive style uses Heavy armor. Even Medium Armor is better for Defense focus. There's archery, but most groups want to fill the melee warrior slot before letting in an archer. So archers are few in small party outside of roguish PCs.

Since small PCs can't use heavy weapons, they are locked out of GWF and Reach Weapon fighting. And if you choose lightfoot halfling or forest gnome, your Dex bonus is mostly wasting in heavy armor. So most small PCs get pushed into as rogues, monks, and casters as the weapon doesn't matter to them.

brehobit

Explorer
I'm familiar with all of these adventures, and I'd say PotA fits in with them. The party can go where they like and check out whatever rumors they want. That led to the group I'm running heading straight to Scarlet Moon Hall. Lucky for them, they're level 5 due to previous adventuring, but they still only came away from the opening confrontation in that place by the skin of their teeth.

A connect-the-dots adventure would have made sure they discovered Feathergale Spire first. But the region is wide open to explore.

I can see your point, but I don't consider it any more (or less) of a sandbox than B2. It's a bunch of stuff waiting for them with what they did in previous steps not playing a huge role in things. Again, I see your point, but to me PotA isn't really a sandbox as much as a set of dungeons. The difference is subtle, but to me significant.

Wait...

Am I insane, or is there something that actively prevents halflings and gnomes from wielding greatswords...?
The greatsword and longbow feature the "Heavy" property, which states: "Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon’s size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively."

pemerton

Legend
But do you know how many people actually took the survey and reported this as a problem?

I'm sure it was reported by some people but unless we know how many people actually made this complaint then it really doesn't say anything. If 25 out of 1000 said it's a problem then overall it really isn't a problem. That is the trouble with a lot of these surveys. You could have less than 1% of the total gaming population making it seem like the majority has spoken.
I am assuming that WotC is accurately reporting their survey results.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am assuming that WotC is accurately reporting their survey results.

Am I missing something? They said people are not happy with the small races. They did not specify anything having to do with weapons. Seems like an assumption that may be false.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
You'd perhaps be surprised at how often that's not the case. ;)

If you define "issue" as "people think it's an issue," then it's clearly an issue - the survey found that out. But as the context notes,
As we’ve noted in the past, when it comes to any potential changes to the game we’ll take a slow, considered approach. The first step will be to develop a clearer understanding of why trends emerge, the root causes behind them, and if they need any sort of mechanical option to address them.

..."issue" doesn't necessarily translate directly to "not being able to use heavy weapons and the GWM feat gimps small characters."

It will only be a weakness for a small race character that plays a heavy-weapon-using melee character. Pretty sure Dex-based warriors, ranged attackers, any sort of caster...they will not notice the fact that they can't use heavy weapons.

Remove ads

Remove ads