• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arabesu's Eyes of the Lich Queen - IC

Vertexx69

First Post
Arabesu said:
OOC I'm assuming Hightower has AC 21 for the moment since you can't use expertise while raging and he has the shield up.
Remeber the +4 cover bonus from the jungle square making it 25AC. plus concealment for miss chance.

Arabesu

Rosa has no problem sneaking up to her target, and perhaps because it is distracted, the poison dusk does not feel Rosa trying to pull arrows out of its quiver, but neither is she able to get a clean opening to get any freed. She sees a vial at his belt which she thinks briefly about taking, but suspects it might be more doses of refined toad stool venom rather than a potion and concedes that it might be unlikely he will use it immediately. (OOC: rosa fails her slight of hand check, but does not alert him, since the last two roll in above link need to be dropped down by -5 since he was distracted, and its a good thing too or else he might have noticed Rosa. Rosa is able to fend off the affects of one of the poisoned arrows, but takes 5 strength damage from the other).

Fenwick, has to step out into the clearing (@J35) to be able to put the poison-dusk lietenent within targeting distance of his close range spell. The bow fumbles within the lizard-man's grasp, and although his fingers are quick and dextrous, it slips out of his hand! His claw immediately goes to the sword at his hip, clearly intent upon drawing at the first chance, and he locks eyes with the now exposed Fenwick. His cold yellow reptilian eyes bore into him, filled with his hatred and menace.

Trent readies to take action, well aware that he may wish to keep the path of death clear between Hightower and the lieutenant (the one to the left, just north of Hightower).

Trent 14
Hightower 8a
Poison-dusks 8b

Rosa 20
Blackscales 19
Fenwick 17a

[sblock= OOC: Vertexx69, ]You said you wanted to go to L37. It turns out that this is Jungle terrain space rather than full cover, i.e. +2 AC and 20% miss chance. [/sblock]

Attachments

• map1_post183.jpg
    map1_post183.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

moritheil

First Post
Rosa carefully considers her options. Discovery would be disastrous. Remembering something in her pack which might help, she slips away from the eastern archer and stealthily retrieves a handful of caltrops, which she scatters in an area it might retreat to given the position of her allies.

OOC: That should be the square above and to the left of the "A3" text on the map. If not feasible, Rosa will simply get out of the way, maintain stealth, and stay alive.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
Hightower, barb2/fighter2 AC 17 (uncanny dodge) HP 32/45 AP 4/7

As the arrows from the poison dusk leader strike home, Hightower feels the familiar surge of poison enter his body, but it's effects do not hurt him. Poison saves: (1d20+8=21, 1d20+8=17) But instead of charging his enemy he simply moves forward 20 ft bringing all of the accrused lizardfolk into the deadly reach of his steely friend, dropping his tower shield along the way. He lashes out low at the luetenant's legs with the wickedly barbed chain. Touch Attack: 24 Str check: 24 He easily sweeps him off of his feet, curling the chain back over and as he notices it straying off course, nudges it with his will. Attack vs Prone: (1d20+15=19)+Action Point: (1d6=2) but it doesn't look good.Damage: (3d6+12=20) He contiues to swing his chain while glancing around at all 4 lizards with their bows in hand, waiting for any of them to do anything other than run.

[sblock=OOC Arabesu]Are we using some house rule for cover? In 3.5, any cover, even "soft cover" gives +4 AC. Not trying to be snooty, its just that this is going to be a long battle and every HP counts! :) (I don't even know if a 25 vs 23 AC would matter against its attack rolls.) Oopsie! Reading the cover rules again, as a large creature, I get to choose any of the 5ft squares I occupy to determine cover and my bottom left square is in full cover so all of the leutenant's arrows just plop into my shield.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Arabesu

Hightower slips toward the poison-dusks with a coolness contradictory to his current furious demeanor. Tripping the poison-dusk lieutenant, he rakes the small lizardfolk for a terrible amount of damage. Although not dead, the lieutenant looks frightened and upset by his current predicament, draws his sword and tries to stand. The lizardfolk to his left takes a step back thinking that he is safe from Hightower and fires his bow twice, hitting with both poisoned arrows for significant damage. The other two lizardfolk have no idea that they are even threatened and so crawl around aimlessly whimpering pathetically to themselves.

OOC: The other lizardfolk fires twice, hitting Hightower with both arrows, for 16 potential damage but provoking an AOO which is resolved before the poisondusks attacks so if he is dropped Hightower takes no damage. This poison dusk is standing in the square that Rosa wanted to caltrop. She has already taker her action for this round filching and hasn't yet had another action to put down the tacks yet so presumably she will sprinkle them around and behind him on her next action. Then the lieutenant tries to stand also provoking an AOO. The other two blinded lizardfolk also provoke AOO from crawling movement but presumably Hightower will run out of AOO at some point. Also, the square marked A3 has a fire pit with a cold fire in it.

OOC: Ignore what I said about bonuses for being 1-square-in in the above sblock for Vertexx69. All jungle terrain squares have the following features quoted from the module: "The jungle contains small trees, vines, ferns, and other ground cover. It is treated as light undergrowth. Creatures standing in a jungle square gain a +2 bonus to AC, a +1 bonus on Reflex saves, and have concealment (20% miss chance). Moving within a jungle square costs 2 squares of movement and the DCs for tumble and move silently checks in a jungle square are increased by 2."

OOC: Still need an action from Trent...

[sblock=For Vertexx69]I described the situation wrong in the earlier posts. In the other jungle encounter the "hard cover" came from specifically placed big trees. There was an additional effect described as "jungle terrain" that provides bonuses and is treated as difficult terrain. There are no big trees nearby so the hard cover is right out. So there is no +4 for being 1-in. I was getting confused with the way fog cloud and other spells work and having two different kinds of miss chance. So its neither a house rule nor a core rule, but a module/encounter rule. Anyway. Sorry about that. I knew what the numbers were right (+2 and 20%) but couldn't remember the exact wording for the condition. Or even the source. When you were talking about "full cover" in your earlier posts I kind of cued off of that and got confused. That is what comes from posting from memory.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
Hightower, barb2/fighter2 AC 17 (uncanny dodge) HP 32/45 AP 4/7

Hightower lets his mouth gape wide so that the fallen lizard can see the hellfire glowing from deep inside his throat as he laughs maniacly and twists the chain over him again as he tries to stand. AoO#1: 32 for another 21 dmg shredding the officer cleanly in two. Then with a powerful wrench of his shoulders he sprays the field in blood as he sweeps the chain low toward the unsuspecting archer. trip vs touch: 17 and AoO#2 str check: 24 Yanking his legs out from under him before he can even get off a single shot, and with a massive twist of his chain AoO#2 attack: 24 rakes a giant bloody swath that trails from the lizard's frond to groin for 27 points of rending dmg.

[sblock=Extra AoO]if he tries to stand back up then AoO#3 v1.0 attack/dmg: (1d20+15=22, 3d6+12=23) or if he stays down/is dead then Hightower trip/rakes one of the blind ones as soon as they leave a square within his threatened area. AoO#3 v1.1 trip/str/attack/dmg: 21/43/32/24)[/sblock]

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Trent moves to the treeline, affording a clear view of the foray. Seeing Hightower taking the initiative to deal with the lizards, and how easily he can do it, Trent decides on a different strategy. His spear is at the ready, aimed at any threats.

When he sees a chance, he'll take it...

OOC - Taking a shot at any foe that seems to need to be dealt with. If there are foes trying to shoot with bows, then he'll throw the weapon at them. Not sure how many are left standing, so he'll opt to wait for the reinforcement from the northwest, if need be.

+6 to hit, d8+4dmg, x3, 20' thrown

Arabesu

Just before Hightower charges, Trent chucks his spear at the lietunant from his hiding place, skewering him brutally and bloodying him for the first time. The lietenant had not spotted the dragon shaman, having been distracted by the golliath coming on to the scene, thus he litterally didn't even see it coming.

When Hightower closes, its all to easy. The lieutenant falls to Hightower's initial attack, and all three other lizardfolk are slain when they choose to take actions that draw his attention. Soon all that can be heard is the Dar'guun war chant of the three approaching blackscales.

<in broken orcish>"Rump, trump, rumpety, trump, sharpen the axe and saddle the lumps, rump trump, rumpety trump."

All of the heroes can see that the Blackscales have elected to employ a desperate strategy to get them to the battle sooner rather than later. Each has drawn wickedly long knives and CUT the straps holding their half-on-half-off armor. Like a clatter of dishes, the now ruined tortoise shell hide armor falls to the ground and the Blackscales each take one step further.

OOC: You may each elect to take one full round's worth of action before they close unless you too choose to close the gap or attack them at medium range. This action might be for healing up, for example.

OOC: also, I need spot or sense motives from each of you as part of your next action.

OOC: I believe that Trent still has his "senses" aura up for those of you within 30 feet of M36, unless he changed it and I missed it.

Last edited:

Vertexx69

First Post
Hightower, barb2/fighter2 AC 17 (uncanny dodge) HP 37/45 AP 4/7

Pulling a small vial from his belt, the goliath flips the top and down the conents. CLW: 5 Moving 20ft toward the closing blackscales as he drops the vial and pulls the chain back through his steel clad hands. His eyes widening at the incoming additional enemies, the ragefire still burning brightly in his veins.

Spot: (1d20+5=23)

Remove ads