• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Chaneling full attack

Sharkon

First Post
I am making this thread due to an urgument between my DM and a player in my party. When a lvl 13 duskblade uses his arcane channeling (full attack) , will all the attacks against the target deal that spell's extra damage ?
In other words if a duskblade uses his shocking grasp will all 3 attacks gain an extra 5d6 or just the first ?

Uder

First Post
I am making this thread due to an urgument between my DM and a player in my party. When a lvl 13 duskblade uses his arcane channeling (full attack) , will all the attacks against the target deal that spell's extra damage ?
In other words if a duskblade uses his shocking grasp will all 3 attacks gain an extra 5d6 or just the first ?

"...the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round..."

All attacks, but only once per target. IMO this is fairly clear from the description in PHBII, but just in case the FAQ clarifies it. Each target will only be affected by the spell once.

Persiflage

First Post
"...the spell affects each target you hit in melee combat that round..."

All attacks, but only once per target. IMO this is fairly clear from the description in PHBII, but just in case the FAQ clarifies it. Each target will only be affected by the spell once.

What he said.

Persiflage

First Post
I was just going to reply "Good for them," but I can't let it go at that...

It would have been more accurate to say that SOME of the guys on that thread had a different opinion.

A yet more accurate way of putting it would have been "50% of the guys on this thread who expressed an opinion directly on the topic, had a different opinion".

An accurate and honest representation would have been: "We've discussed this on another thread, and opinions were split 50/50 until the FAQ ruling was pointed out; confirming that the spell works once per target. At that point the discussion more-or-less turned to other ways to exploit the ability, barring one person who wouldn't quit."

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have a qualm about allowing Duskblades to suck multiple times per target instead of just once: I just don't believe that's what the rules intended to say.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I don't want to thread necro, but wow that thread annoys me... Using one/day abilities to compare with something a Duskblade can do ALL DAY LONG? Or A swift hunter build with greater manyshot and the MASSIVE penalties that entails presumably hitting on all 4 shots (and conveniently uses the skirmish damage you'll be doing near epic levels and with Improved Skirmish feat, to compare with something the Duskblade is doing at level 13). And Disintigrate? Yeah, if they fail their fortitude save it does equivalent damage... Good luck with that.

Persiflage

First Post
Agreed: a much better example would have been a flanking or invisible Improved TWF rogue using Rapid Shot and touch-attacking with flasks of Alchemist's Fire... that combination beats the Duskblade hollow. And if they're size Small with the Giant Killing Style stance, well, ouch.

Not to cavail too much, StreamOfTheSky - as I agree with you in general about the inappropriateness of some of the comparisons - but saying that the Duskblade can pull that trick all day long is a bit of an exaggeration. At 13th level he can do it six times, assuming that a) he actually GETS six full-attack actions in an adventuring day, b) that none of the six opponents he gets his full attacks against are immune or resistant to the spell, c) that he actually manages to hit with all of those attacks (an unreasonable assumption, and something that people weren't figuring into that thread), d) that his opponents don't inconveniently die before he finishes getting all his attacks against each one, leaving him unable to complete his full-attack action and e) that he does nothing else whatsoever with his 3rd-level spell slots.

Lets make a couple more assumptions so we can work out what the results are... I'm going to have the Duskblade use a +3 two-handed sword with a +6 Strength bonus, for 2d6+12 base damage. He gets 6d6 per attack on top from Vampiric Touch. What the hell, let us have him hasted from somewhere as well. As such, he's getting 24 attacks in a day that do 8d6+12 points of damage.

Meeting all of our listed criteria, our Duskblade has done an average of 960 points of damage. Wow, pretty good eh?

By contrast, and making a similar set of assumptions to those we allow the Duskblade, a 13th-level Wizard who wants to waste everyone's time can throw down a maximised 10d6-energy-damage-in-an-area spell, catching everyone in the room for 60 points of damage or 30 if they save. Per opponent, that's not a lot, but if he catches six opponents and half of them make their save (a not unreasonable proportion on average) then he has just dished out 270 points of damage. If he used a Lesser Rod of Maximize Spell (which he did, because he's a Wizard and therefore not stupid) then he did that with a 3rd-level spell slot. With a couple of Maximize rods and no other kind of fiddling around at all, he can pull that trick 5 times per day, for an average of 1350 points of damage.

Thing is, the Wizard hasn't had to make an attack roll for any of that: he has just "hit" whatever he was aiming at. And we haven't counted his 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th-level slots yet, which hopefully he'll be doing something a bit more useful with.

Despite standing by my assertion that the rules as written don't suggest (to me at least) that the Duskblade would get multiple uses of a single spell per target, I actually find it pretty hard to care. By the time he gets the ability, real casters are several levels into their "I Win" territory: I'm all in favour of letting melee types have access to stuff that lets them really matter from time to time, when circumstances are right.

And yup, I fully accept that everyone else's mileage can and probably will vary significantly from mine. I've played in enough different groups to know that - for various reasons - some campaigns make melee work right up to high levels, and in these cases the "liberal" interpretation of the Duskblade's ability would have far more in-game impact. But then, those campaigns can just restrict the Duskblade to the one-use-of-touch-spell-per-target, so it's all good :D

None of that addresses the Rogue though ;)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Good analysis, I will say expecting a Duskblade to hit on all his attacks is more reasonable than expecting all of greater manyshot's hits to land, though still unlikely.

Going with the RAW interpretation of once per target, though, I feel inspired to try a build now. A Duskblade/Dervish with Whirlwind Attack and a reach weapon. :)
May possibly be the only way to make that feat not suck, and the visual would be awesome, even if the full payoff doesn't come until level 14.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads