• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Power: How long before the pirated copy appears

How long before the pirated copy hits the torrents

• 1 day

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • 2-3 days

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • 4-5 days

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • a week

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • two weeks

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • three weeks

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • a month

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • longer than a month

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lemon curry/no idea

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Poll closed .

Bumbles

First Post
Sorry for my word choice, but i mean an official study of the effects of piracy on various types of products..

Yes, I thought you were looking for something authoritative there, but sadly, there really isn't any such thing.

Plenty of studies. Some of them from reputable sources. But none of them are what I'd call really definitive proof either way.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I expect that we will see the PDFs back on RPGNow et al in a few months when WotC begins to realise that it doesn't have the in-house skills to provide an alternative on the website.

In the meantime, I will buy the hard copies as always but will go back to downloading the PDFs from wherever I can find them so that I have my "travelling copies".

Well there is now a PDF copy out fully OCR's and bookmarked and cleaned up and everything, as good (practically, if not aesthetically) as the WotC released PDFs, so that has taken about 10 days to reach the point of no difference to the pirates whatever WotC does.

Kask

First Post
Well there is now a PDF copy out fully OCR's and bookmarked and cleaned up and everything, as good (practically, if not aesthetically) as the WotC released PDFs, so that has taken about 10 days to reach the point of no difference to the pirates whatever WotC does.

WotC Pres has apparently lived in a cave over the last 15 years. He hasn't learned the obvious lessons from the music industry debacle.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
WotC Pres has apparently lived in a cave over the last 15 years. He hasn't learned the obvious lessons from the music industry debacle.

What lessons?

I'm not a big fan of people saying the various industries should not worry about privacy. Honestly, the people who say that in my mind are akin to a Mafia boss saying "you better co-operate and pay protection or we will ruin you"--except replace protection racketeering with IP piracy. How dare anybody decide to actually protect themselves from pirates, or decide to abandon a certain business model that is frought with violations of the No Electronic Theft Act (and other rules). :uhoh:

Plenty of studies. Some of them from reputable sources. But none of them are what I'd call really definitive proof either way.

Part of the problem too is that in the latter half of the decade, with all the alternatives to news, people don't like listening to anything outside their "comfort zone". So, instead of people listening objectively and trying to understand the other guy, people now try to shoot the messenger. Say the wrong message, and you are part of the "liberal media", the "media conglomerates", etc. It's okay to have health skepticism, but be wary of your own biases and keep yourselves open to the other approaches. I notice that the people who don't want to see piracy stopped love to quote the stories about it "increasing consumption", but when other facts dispute this, they dismiss the surveys as biased.

Last edited:

Remove ads