• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Arcane Power: How long before the pirated copy appears

How long before the pirated copy hits the torrents

• 1 day

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • 2-3 days

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • 4-5 days

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • a week

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • two weeks

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • three weeks

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • a month

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • longer than a month

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • lemon curry/no idea

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Poll closed .

Bumbles

First Post
Is there a hard study about piracy and sales?

Hard study? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I suspect the situation is like the debates on the environment. Lots of different evidence, lots of different arguments and more acrimony than you can imagine.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I would, but sadly the pirate crew accidentally shot the books with a cannon.

Bunch of scurvy dogs.

Why couldn't they hit the copies of James Patterson's latest?

I'm not getting the joke here. Personally I like James Pattersons books. So for me, this joke kind of fell flat.:hmm:

See ya, around.;)

Bumbles

First Post
I'm not getting the joke here. Personally I like James Pattersons books. So for me, this joke kind of fell flat.:hmm:

See ya, around.;)

Well, I made the joke based on just having seen the commercial for it, no reason other than that, and if you felt it was a commentary regarding the quality of the book, which I have no knowledge of it at all, then I'm sorry I gave you that impression. It was not my intent.

I do hope though, you are not searching through my posts and going out of your way to reply to me regarding this simply because I didn't respond favorably to your attempt at humor in another thread. Because that is how your behavior appears to me, and I find that quite troubling

Last edited:

Caerin

First Post
I didn't realize it was downloadable as a perm document.

It's not, and I'm feeling the lack of an Arcane Power pdf keenly. The Compendium is useful, but I'm not always online and I've had several errors while using it recently. I hadn't quite realized how often I rely on the other PDFs until this week.

To another subject, there are no "hard" piracy/sales studies. There's no good direct methodology determining the effects of infringement on sales. People tend to rely on "common sense" arguments, (what essentially are) moral rights arguments, anecdotal evidence, and correlation. Different studies that do exist come to vastly different conclusions, and a lot of them have very shoddy methodologies and/or obvious biases. It's a very difficult area in which to do research. You'll find most in law, economic, business, sociology/cultural, and every so often information journals.

Kask

First Post
It's not, and I'm feeling the lack of an Arcane Power pdf keenly. The Compendium is useful, but I'm not always online and I've had several errors while using it recently.

Oh. That's not a replacement at all for paper or PDF copy of a rule book. Big fail for WotC.

Oompa

First Post
Hard study? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I suspect the situation is like the debates on the environment. Lots of different evidence, lots of different arguments and more acrimony than you can imagine.

Sorry for my word choice, but i mean an official study of the effects of piracy on various types of products..

A while back i've readt that a few harvard students calculated and concluded that one cd needed to be pirated a few million times before a artist really lost a few dollars from there income..

I am also a firm believer that piracy does not kill new bands and the likes.. Just look at all the new bands that score a hit, if you listen to the cd.. most of the numbers are crap, exept the hit.. If most numbers are not crap the band usually survives and makes more cd's...

A artist or band usually earns more money with tours and merchandise..

For a note.. This is my opninion and i am not trying to start somekind of war or anything, just a healthy debate.. I'm open for suggestions and other opinions :)

Here's a weird question:

What about the fact that this thread exists?

Is that good publicity?

Is it bad?

Or...is it just that any publicity...good or bad...is great?

Just wondering what the impact of all this talk might be. Should I fork this thread or just ask the question here?

Oompa

First Post
Here's a weird question:

What about the fact that this thread exists?

Is that good publicity?

Is it bad?

Or...is it just that any publicity...good or bad...is great?

Just wondering what the impact of all this talk might be. Should I fork this thread or just ask the question here?

It's mixed publicity..

Good: Wizards has delayed the pirates..
Bad: Wizards pulled out pdf's

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads