D&D 4E Arcane Power II - ideascape

NotAYakk

Legend
Oh and the highlighted ones are ones I had considered myself (Though perhaps you have different ideas)

Could you elaborate on the various builds. Explorer and Titan sounds intriguing?
Artificer (clockwork):

Has 1 or more clockword companions. Powers leverage the companion. Sort of like the beast master. Possibly I'd have them bundled with "encounter" powers; so instead of taking an encounter spell, you'd get a companion (with its own at-will ability) and an encounter power to use on the companion? That permits you to have more than one if you want.

Warlock (abyssal):

Made a deal with a demon. Demons are chaotic and destructive. Friendly fire AOEs, summons that behave randomly, etc.

Swordmage (dancer):

Possibly the two-weapon swordmage. Aegis of Blades (translates as shield of blades). Immediate interrupt parry attempt (opposed attack roll). When triggered, whenever you attack the target you get an extra off-hand weapon attack on them (delayed punishment).

Wizard (sage):

A leader-leaning subclass. Abilities that are about knowledge checks. Use actions to know things, provide information to allies to buff them.

Bard (explorer):

Indiana Jones/Pulp action hero. Explores new areas, writes stories about them to send home.

Sorcerer (titan):

The Titans are the primordeals who gave birth to the Giants. So lots of size manipulation, raw strength magic. Has limited access to the runes of creation, the language the universe was forged using.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Swordmage - An E-style class that keeps the dynamic of every move being magical and martial, but focuses on stances that modify either move actions or basic attacks, a wide array of at-wills (perhaps movement like the thief) that will play differently in different stances, and some Rites or something that are thematically ritual magic, but in play are just daily powers that last through long stretches of the day or something. So, Rite of The Enduring Flame might make all weapon attacks you or an ally who was there when you did the ritual deal fire damage in addition to its normal damage, and add 1d10 (level scaled) extra fire damage on a crit.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I am more likely to shoot for role variations on Swordmage via builds A full Controller? though is well heck just hybrid Wizard and go for it. So meh on that thought.

A striker is more challenging AND a two weapon striker flavor wise sure a Blade Dancer. And maybe could be done with essentials structure. But not my cuppa. I ahem essence I am thinking while duo wielding swords you give up the aegis but gain more damaging fun ... it could be a stance that lets one of your blades dance independently and prevents you doing your mark while you are in the stance... while flanking with the blade you might get a booster of some sort. hmmmm.

Explicit flexible role a bit like was done with the Berserker.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Swordmage - An E-style class that keeps the dynamic of every move being magical and martial, but focuses on stances that modify either move actions or basic attacks, a wide array of at-wills (perhaps movement like the thief) that will play differently in different stances, and some Rites or something that are thematically ritual magic, but in play are just daily powers that last through long stretches of the day or something. So, Rite of The Enduring Flame might make all weapon attacks you or an ally who was there when you did the ritual deal fire damage in addition to its normal damage, and add 1d10 (level scaled) extra fire damage on a crit.
I’d also include stances and rites that are more utility focused, and this would share the mage’s spellbook related features.

Artificer - A couple new options would be an Alchemist subclass that looks a bit like the executioner, with a homunculus familiar that actually does stuff.

Or maybe add an Artificer daily power that creates a homunculus? Something.

A real arcane archer, possibly as a swordmage, or as a martial/arcane fighter or rogue. If it’s a rogue, give it arcane daily powers (Until end of encounter, all your ranged basic attacks gain XYZ), utility powers, and some weird stuff, like stances that change the damage type of your SA damage and give a rider on top of it.

Remove ads