Archer Druid Subclass?

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Also, I find it strange that the Druid's best at-will attack is a fire spell. Shouldn't it be lightning, or maybe poison?

Maybe part of the problem with Druids is also a problem with any caster that wants to specialize in lightning: no good ranged cantrip.

And soooooo (drumroll...) maybe the archer druid should get:

Level 2: Proficiency in longbow/shortbow, and use Wisdom for attack stat
Level 6/14: Add 1d8/2d8 Lightning or Poison damage to ranged attacks
Level 10: Some thematic utility?
Level 14: Some cool capstone?

As someone who is currently playing a second game as Tempest Cleric of Thor (In my primary campaign, I am The Old One patron, Pact of the Tome warlock) and who wants to play a Bronze Draconic Ancestry sorcerer I second the need/desire for lighting cantrip by RAW that is not a the touch spell shocking grasp (which if fine, but I can only think of Raiden when I use that spell).. I know the DMG says I can take FireBolt, call it ShockBolt and change the damage to lighting for my character but that's too much like homebrew for my table.

G

Guest 6801328

I know the DMG says I can take FireBolt, call it ShockBolt and change the damage to lighting for my character but that's too much like homebrew for my table.

Yeah, I'm with you on that principal in general. I'll discuss homebrew ideas all day long, but when I get to the table I like my rules to be official.

For this case specifically, I'd like to see a proper lightning cantrip that does 1d8/2d8/3d8 and arcs to a nearby target for 1d4/2d4/3d4.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Yeah, I'm with you on that principal in general. I'll discuss homebrew ideas all day long, but when I get to the table I like my rules to be official.

For this case specifically, I'd like to see a proper lightning cantrip that does 1d8/2d8/3d8 and arcs to a nearby target for 1d4/2d4/3d4.

I like the idea but because its damage on damage and what 30, 60, or 120ft range? 30 would be fine to me. Maybe 60. Point being its ranged + extra damage, if it was 1d6 lvl 1/2d6 lvl 5 /3d6 lvl 11/ 4d6 lvl17 + 1d4 lvl 5 /2d4 lvl 11 /3d4 lvl 17 I would be okay with that. In part, because Draconic Sorcerer would add +5 damage to both targets (I believe) and it just gives a cool much needed lighting option.

If it keeps your original damage scale it needs to be kept at 30ft just to keep it from pushing out all the other damage spells....In my opinion.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

That's basically just acid splash with the damage dice slightly tweaked. You could easily do an attack cantrip like it which deals 1d8 with a range of 60 feet that also arcs to another target adjacent to the first dealing 1d4 damage.

G

Guest 6801328

I like the idea but because its damage on damage and what 30, 60, or 120ft range? 30 would be fine to me. Maybe 60. Point being its ranged + extra damage, if it was 1d6 lvl 1/2d6 lvl 5 /3d6 lvl 11/ 4d6 lvl17 + 1d4 lvl 5 /2d4 lvl 11 /3d4 lvl 17 I would be okay with that. In part, because Draconic Sorcerer would add +5 damage to both targets (I believe) and it just gives a cool much needed lighting option.

If it keeps your original damage scale it needs to be kept at 30ft just to keep it from pushing out all the other damage spells....In my opinion.

I would think 60' with a 5' secondary target. That makes it very much like Acid Splash, but the d8/d4 split instead of d6/d6 makes it more effective against single target. (Although honestly I'd be ok with d6/d6 as well.) I think more creatures have resistance/immunity to lightning than acid, so that's a factor, too.

Remove ads