• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archer's Glory question

HP Dreadnought

First Post
I have a question about this power. Its the 12th level utility power for the battlefield Archer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Archer's Glory
One enemy falls, and those that remain are about to learn what heroism
is all about.

Encounter
Martial
Free Action

Personal
Trigger: One of your ranged attacks drops an enemy to 0 hit points or
fewer

Effect: You gain an action point that you must spend before the end of
your next turn.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would seem that this power creates an exception to the 1 action point per turn rule. It stipulates that you gain an action point, and that you MUST spend it before the end of your next turn.

It doesn't say that "if you don't spend it before the next turn, it is lost" it says you must spend it.

To me, this indicates the power functions as described even if you've already spent an action point this turn, or if the power has already triggered. However, the power doesn't call out the fact that you can spend more than 1 action point per turn.

Thus, you have 2 competing non-optional directives:

1. You may not spend more than 1 action point per turn.
2. You gain an action point and MUST spend it.

Thoughts?

kugelkj

First Post
spend the action point as directed by the ability even though you already spent an action point on this turn. there is a precedent for this: some monsters (dragons) have more than one action point which they may spend in the same encounter (not on the same turn)... but this ability pretty specifically says gain the AP, spend it now. I'd do that without missing any sleep.

Flipguarder

First Post
I see no reason to interpret it as though it overrides the one action point per turn. I suppose it would be a bad idea to use this power with an action point. The word "must" is 100% for sure intended to indicate that you cannot use it any other turn, not that you are required to spend it and therefore it counts as a specific rule.

Or the short version: "A specific implication does not beat a general rule."

Alex319

First Post
Yeah, and it seems too overpowered if it really overrode the one action point per encounter (not per turn) rule. It would basically triple the number of action points you get (from 1 per two encounters to 3 per two encounters)

abyssaldeath

First Post
Flipguarder is correct. Look at the Mourning Savior ED.
Cyran Vengeance (30th level) said:
When you first become bloodied during an encounter, you gain one action point. You must spend this action point before the end of your next turn. Using this action point does not count against your normal action point expenditure during combat.
They only things that I have found that let PC's use more than one Action Point in a encounter are ED's.

kugelkj

First Post
Yeah, and it seems too overpowered if it really overrode the one action point per encounter (not per turn) rule. It would basically triple the number of action points you get (from 1 per two encounters to 3 per two encounters)

if this was not what they intended, why isn't it a daily utility?

Remove ads