• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Archetypes and pillar coverage

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I'd argue that while mariner is a step in the right direction, being able to swim and climb slightly better than you already could do with the athletics skill is far from the level of non-combat performance that most non-fighter classes have. Swimmable expanses of water and climbable surfaces are sort of the non-combat equivalent of killing the rats in someone's basement.

Li Shenron

Legend
We just saw the new rogue archetype, the mastermind. And the first thing that jumped out at me was that it had one full level of stuff that was for use purely out-of-combat (level 9 has only one feature and I'd call it a "ribbon"). And no one seemed to mind or object. But the other rogue archetypes have actually useful (in some cases quite useful) combat powers at level 9.

From a design viewpoint, I was pretty surprised they went this way (especially as the level 9 power is, IMO, pretty lame). But perhaps the level 3 power(s) more than made up for it?

Just curious what others think. Are there other examples like this in the PHB (archetypes that have a only out-of-combat powers)?

My personal view is that I dislike any design attempt at balancing each class, subclass, race, subrace etc. in each pillar separately, i.e. to force everybody to be 'equally effective' in each pillar separately.

For me 'equality' is instead more about each pillar being given full support and value on its own, with players deserving the freedom to focus on whichever they want.

Classes or subclasses slanted towards one pillar are therefore totally ok in my book.

Remove ads