Archivist - A Cleric Variant

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Here's my 4th Edition adaptation of the Archivist, which appeared in Heroes of Horror and can be found here: Heroes of Horror Excerpt

Archivist
Unlike ordinary clerics, archivists do not receive their power from a deity or other cosmic force. Instead, they focus upon the study of such esoteric sources such as holy tablets, ancient steles and other magical scriptures. They are similar to other clerics only in the powers they command.

Archivists follow all the rules for Clerics except that they do not have the Channel Divinity or Healer’s Lore features. They have the Prayerbook and Dark Knowledge features instead.

Prayerbook
You possess a prayerbook, a book full of mystic lore in which you store your rituals and your daily and utility prayers. This follows the same rules as the wizard’s spellbook, except that it contains prayers instead of spells. Like a wizard’s spellbook, your prayerbook contains three 1st-level rituals you have mastered. This replaces the free rituals Clerics get as part of their Ritual Casting feature. At 5th level, and again at 11th, 15th, 21st, and 25th level you master two more rituals of your choice and add them to your prayerbook. Any ritual you add must be your level or lower.

Dark Knowledge
You have an expansive knowledge of monsters, including their secret weaknesses and other esoteric lore that helps you and your allies combat them. Once per encounter, you can draw upon this knowledge to gain special advantages against the creatures you face. You must succeed on a Monster Knowledge check (see p. 180 of the Player’s Handbook) in order to use this feature against a creature or type of creature. The DC is 15 for heroic tier creatures, 20 for paragon tier creatures, or 25 for epic tier creatures. The knowledge check grants you all the usual information in additional to enabling the use of Dark Knowledge against that creature type.

Dark Knowledge – Archivist Feature
Drawing upon your deep understanding of a creature’s general combat behaviors, vital spots, and other weaknesses, you guide your allies to better combat creatures of that type.
Encounter * Divine
Minor Action – Close
burst 10
Target: One creature or group of creatures of the same type
Requirement: You must have succeeded on a Monster Knowledge check for the target creature
Effect: Choose one of the following benefits, which lasts until the end of the encounter:
Tactics: You and your allies gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls against the target creatures.
Puissance: You and your allies gain a +1 power bonus to saving throws against the target creature’s powers.
Foreknowledge: You and your allies gain a +1 power bonus to AC and all defenses against the target creatures.
Increase the bonus granted by these abilities to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 21st level.

New Feats for Archivists

Dread Secret [Dark Knowledge]
Tier: Heroic
Prerequisites: Dark Knowledge class feature
Benefit:You gain the Dark Knowledge: Dread Secret power. Using this power counts as your use of Dark Knowledge for the encounter.

Dark Knowledge: Dread Secret – Feat Power
Charged with divine power, you utter a creature’s true name, hindering its ability to act.
Encounter * Charm, Divine, Implement
Minor Action – Ranged
Target: One creature
Requirement: You must have succeeded on a Monster Knowledge check for the target creature.
Attack: Wisdom vs. Will
Hit: The target is dazed (save ends). If you score a critical hit with this power, the target is stunned (save ends) instead.

Expanded Prayerbook [Archivist]
Prerequisites: Int 13, archivist
Benefit: Choose one daily cleric attack prayer of every level you know. Add this prayer to your prayerbook. Each time you gain a new level of daily cleric attack prayers, you learn one extra prayer of that level (in other words, add three prayers to your prayerbook instead of only two). This feat doesn’t change the number of daily attack prayers you can prepare each day.

Foe Bane [Dark Knowledge]
Prerequisites: Dark Knowledge class feature
Benefit: When you invoke the Dark Knowledge power, you also have the following option:
Foe Bane: You and your allies’ attacks deal an extra +1d6 damage to the target creatures. This bonus damage applies only once per ally, per opponent per turn.
Increase the bonus damage to +2d6 at 11th level and to +3d6 at 21st level.

cmbarona

First Post
I was actually intrigued by the Archivist in 3.5, but turned off by its implementation. I played one very briefly. They essentially felt like nerfed Clerics. If you intend to differentiate them from Clerics, I think it will be important for you to generate a distinct list of powers that key off their intelligence. Also, what role do you see them filling? I would suggest a divine controller, myself.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I was actually intrigued by the Archivist in 3.5, but turned off by its implementation. I played one very briefly. They essentially felt like nerfed Clerics. If you intend to differentiate them from Clerics, I think it will be important for you to generate a distinct list of powers that key off their intelligence.

That would be alot more work than I care to put into them. ;)

Mostly, I wanted an alternative to the regular cleric, one that represents more of a cloistered cleric or traditional priest as opposed to a knight templar type cleric. It was never my intent to make an entirely new class, just an alternative cleric. ;)

Also, what role do you see them filling? I would suggest a divine controller, myself.

Leader. They're clerics in every way except that they have Dark Knowledge and a Prayerbook instead of having Channel Divinity and Healer's Lore.

Awesome!!!! pure and simple, do you think you can post it in PDF format? thanks

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have the programs to do that.

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
I'd consider switching their primary attack stat to intelligence from wisdom.

That's not a bad idea. I could then give them cloth proficiency only (which fits the cloistered, scholarly image I have of them) and their high Int would still give them a decent AC.

There's just one thing, the old Archivist valued both Int and Wisdom, I'm not entirely sure how to do that here. Thoughts?

chronoplasm

First Post
I'll chime in with the others and agree that they should use intelligence as their primary stat and have a lot of unique prayers to differentiate them from the cleric.

Heres an idea, maybe instead of just having dark knowledge, Archivists are required to select an 'Expertise' in the same way that Warlocks select a pact.
Royal Knowledge?
Foreign Knowledge?
Nature Knowledge?
Prehuman Knowledge?
Future Knowledge?

cmbarona

First Post
There's just one thing, the old Archivist valued both Int and Wisdom, I'm not entirely sure how to do that here. Thoughts?

Heh. Actually, that was one of my complaints with the class, but that had more to do with 3.5 mechanics than anything else. 4.0 is a lot better at allowing secondary stats. Perhaps Wisdom con be kept/replaced as a stat modifying peripheral effects of powers? I don't play a Cleric, so I can't quote anything, but hopefully you get what I mean.

ppaladin123

Adventurer
Heh. Actually, that was one of my complaints with the class, but that had more to do with 3.5 mechanics than anything else. 4.0 is a lot better at allowing secondary stats. Perhaps Wisdom con be kept/replaced as a stat modifying peripheral effects of powers? I don't play a Cleric, so I can't quote anything, but hopefully you get what I mean.

That's a good idea. Right now it is charisma. The switch to wisdom would make sense thematically as well.

chronoplasm

First Post
That's a good idea. Right now it is charisma. The switch to wisdom would make sense thematically as well.

You still need a tertiary stat (all the classes have one). You could have wisdom as the peripheral stat for some powers and you could have some other stat as the peripheral stat for other powers. I don't see charisma fitting the concept here, but it's less of a stretch than using strength, dexterity, or constitution for this class.

Remove ads