• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Archivist/Alienist

Zurai

First Post
Having read some of the awesome story hours in the forums and running across several with well-played Alienists (shilsen's, Sepulchrave's, etc), I decided that, should my current character die in my Friday campaign, I was going to make one myself.

[sblock="Why I chose Archivist"]However, me being me, I just wasn't satisfied with a plain old Wizard/Alienist. I looked at the class features and one of the things that immediately jumped out at me was "+1 to existing spellcasting class". Not "+1 to existing arcane spellcasting class". So, I started thinking about ways to make an effective Divine Alienist.

The main hurdle, of course, is the -2 Wisdom penalty from Alienist 2. That would seriously damage a basic Cleric or Druid (and Druids don't get Summon Monster anyway). A Favored Soul would be possible, but losing DC, getting new levels of spells on evens instead of odds, and having a monstrously restricted spell list just didn't seem like the best possible way to present an Alienist - not to mention that it's hard to imagine any Good or Neutral deity supporting an Alienist in the way that deities obviously support Favored Souls. That'd be like having a Paladin/Alienist.

Spirit Shaman and Shugenja are similarly challenged, so I reluctantly set the idea aside for a few weeks. Then one day I saw mention of the Archivist class on the WotC CharOp boards - and instantly I was enthralled with the idea of an Archivist/Alienist.

Archivists use Wisdom still, but only for Spells Per Day, and they already get more SPD than clerics. Intelligence is their primary spellcasting stat, determining max spell level as well as DC for their spells. They act like wizards with regards to spellcasting (preparing spells from a spellbook), except that they get to scribe scrolls from any divine spellcasting class, so their potential spell list is enormous and enormously powerful. Thus, their mechanics work pretty well with the concept of an Alienist (I'd prefer to be focused solely on Int for spellcasting, but I'm OK with just getting a few fewer spells per day).

On top of that, their lore is absolutely PERFECT. Archivists are exactly what they sound like - seekers of incredibly obscure lore. What's more obscure than the Far Realms, which most people, spellcasters included, don't even know exists? They also get a class feature called "Dark Knowledge", which is like gravy on top.
[/sblock]

So, I had my basic character concept. Here's the outline I have for him at the moment:

[sblock="Current Character Stub"]
Hugin
Male Middle-Aged Grey Elf Archivist 5/Alienist 1
N Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Initiative: +0
Senses: Spot +4, Listen +4; Low-Light Vision
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic, Auran, Infernal, Celestial, Giant

AC 14, touch 9, flat-footed 14; +5 Armor, -1 Flaw
Hit Points: 4d6+1d4+6 (6 HD)
Fortitude +5, Reflex +2, Will +9
Immune magical sleep

Speed 30’
Melee dagger -2 (1d4-2 19x2) or
Ranged light crossbow +2 (1d6 19x2)
Base Attack Bonus: +2; Grapple: -2
Spells Known:
0th – all cleric
1st – Fortify Cold Creatures, Lesser Vigor, Cure Light Wounds, Comprehend Languages, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith, Bless, Obscuring Mist, Nightshield, Summon Monster I, Winter Chill
2nd – Summon Monster II, Hold Person, Cure Moderate Wounds, Frost Breath, Mass Snake’s Swiftness, Creeping Cold, Winter’s Embrace
3rd – Summon Monster III, Dispel Magic, Mass Lesser Vigor, Invest Moderate Protection, Call Lightning, Evard’s Menacing Tentacles, Spirit Jaws
Spells Prepared: DC 16 + Spell Level, Touch Attack -2, Ranged Touch Attack +2
0th – Light, Detect Magic, Read Magic, Cure Minor Wounds
1st – Summon Monster I, Fortify Cold Creatures, Shield of Faith, Bless, Cure Light Wounds
2nd – Summon Monster II, Cure Moderate Wounds, Hold Person, Frost Breath, Mass Snake’s Swiftness
3rd – Call Lightning, Summon Monster III x2, Spirit Jaws

Abilities Str 6, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 23, Wis 16, Cha 9
Special Qualities: Dark Knowledge, Still Mind, Lore Mastery, Summon Alien
Trait: Spellgifted: Conjuration (Hugin casts all Conjuration spells at +1 caster level, but all other spells at -1 caster level)
Flaws: Noncombatant (-2 to melee attack rolls), Vulnerable (-1 AC)
Feats: Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning, Scribe Scroll, Beckon the Frozen, Open Feat, Open Feat
Skills: Concentration +9, Decipher Script +15, Gather Information +7, Knowledge: Arcana +14, Knowledge: Dungeoneering +14, Knowledge: History +14, Knowledge: Religion +14, Knowledge: The Planes +16, Spellcraft +14
Equipment:
Periapt of Wisdom +2, Headband of Intellect +2, Cloak of Resistance +1, wand of cure light wounds (50 charges, CL 1), potion of cure light wounds (CL 1), breastplate, dagger, light crossbow, quiver w/ 20 bolts, backpack, waterskin, 5 trail rations

Dark Knowledge: 4 times per day, Hugin can draw upon his expansive knowledge of monsters, granting his allies bonuses, by making a DC15 Knowledge check based on the type of monster.
Tactics: Allies get +1 to attack rolls against creatures of the target race for 1 minute. The bonus increases to +2 if Hugin beats the DC by 10, and +3 if he beats the DC by 20.
Puissance: Allies within 60 feet of Hugin get +1 to all saving throws against the target creature’s abilities. The bonus increases to +2 if Hugin beats the DC by 10, and +3 if he beats the DC by 20.
Lore Mastery: Hugin gets a +2 bonus to all Decipher Script and Knowledge: The Planes checks.
Still Mind (Ex): Hugin gets +2 to saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.
Summon Alien: Whenever Hugin would use any Summon Monster spell to summon a celestial or fiendish creature, he instead summons a pseudonatural version of that creature. He also gives up the ability to summon non-pseudonatural creatures with a Summon Monster spell.

[/sblock]

All the cold-related spells are roleplaying-inspired; the other major offensive caster of the group I'm in is a Frost Mage (character concept, not class), and I happen to love the feat Beckon the Frozen, so I figured I'd play up the synergy.

The reason for this post? Well, there's two of them really:

1) Has anyone else played an Archivist/Alienist, and if so what was your experience with the combo?
2) Does anyone have any suggestions for the build? Any mistakes I made, suggestions for the two open feat slots (I currently am looking at Extend Spell + Improved Toughness, but they're open for a reason), suggestions for spells I need to pick up? Any suggestions for tweaks to the character are welcomed - even stats and stuff are open for alteration at the moment.

[sblock="Campaign Character Creation Rules"]
25 point buy
Replacement characters for deaths come in at party average level (currently 5 but should be 6 soon)
Full PC wealth-by-level, but no custom magic items
All WotC-labeled 3E products are permissable, except for non-Greyhawk setting-specific stuff (like Warforged, Forgotten Realms-specific PrCs, etc)
[/sblock]

Asmor

First Post
Unfortunately, I don't really have anything constructive to add, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the character concept. You're absolutely right, archivist and alienist are a perfect fit.

sckeener

First Post
Flavor-wise they are a good fit. I've been agonizing over whether to be an archivist alienist for weeks.

Choices you lose in picking the archivist alienist are:
  • As you mentioned, bonus spells are determined by wisdom for the archivist and the alienist loses 2 points of wisdom
  • Alienist levels stack with arcane caster's levels that get a familiar
  • since traits & flaws are mentioned in the example character, the archivist will miss out on the conjurer variants...namely
    A)Rapid Summoning (summon in 1 action)
    B)Enhanced Summoning (tougher summons plus free feats)
    C)Spontaneous Summoning
  • The pseudonatural template applies to the Summon Monster spell, so though the archivist might get summon nature's ally, the pseudonatural template won't apply

The pluses of being an archivist alienist
  • better saving throws
  • better armor
  • better hit dice

I really wanted a familiar so I'm currently drafting a wizard alienist. I decided to be human because I wanted him to appear 'normal' and thus make the strange things he does seem stranger. Admittedly I'm having to take the obtain familiar feat to get the familiar because I'm taking the rapid summoning.

Having said all that...I still like the idea of the archivist alienist.

frankthedm

First Post
Asmor said:
Unfortunately, I don't really have anything constructive to add, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the character concept. You're absolutely right, archivist and alienist are a perfect fit.
True that!

It even makes a lot of sense that Abdul Alhazred, author of the Al-Azif, aka the Necronomicon, be an archivist.

frankthedm

First Post
sckeener said:
[*] The pseudonatural template applies to the Summon Monster spell, so though the archivist might get summon nature's ally, the pseudonatural template won't apply[/list]
Uhm, maybe it is just me, but i could easily see a SNA turn against an alienist who summoned it.

Rackhir

Explorer
Hehe. It's nice to be mentioned in the same breath as Sep's Story hour...

RE: Conjurer Variants - Since the benefits are based around giving up stuff, if you have a DM who's willing to work with you, there's no real reason why you couldn't make similar trade offs with your character. In general I have found the rapid summoning ability to be absolutely critical to an effective summoning based character. So I would beg, plead and whine to work out some sort of deal for that.

Some tips for Summon monster spells.

You are almost always better off doing a d3 of creatures from the next lower SM list. More opportunities for flanking bonuses and 2-3 creatures almost always have more hp (especially with Augment Summons) than a single creature as well as soaking up overkill damage and requiring more attacks to take them down.

Establish as SOP that you have the summoned creatures use their True Strike on their first attack as they won't often survive more than one or two rounds. Note, you will probably have to have your character learn what ever the language is for pseudonatural creatures to be able to do this (since you are giving them instructions). But given your character type they should probably know it anyway for flavor reasons if nothing else.

Remember the breakpoint for getting DR on summoned creatures is IIRC 5 hd. This can make a big difference vs creatures/enemies without magical weapons. The best early summons (SM III) that gets this is the Celestial Bison.

If you have Augment Summons (+4 Str/Con for summoned creatures) remember that if the monster has a single attack like the Celestial Bison, that's considered a "Two-Handed" attack and you will get an extra +1 damage out of the the Augment Summons because of the strength.

Good luck with the campaign. That is a cool character concept and I might have to look into having Nameless take some archivist levels (once he's reached transcendance at least). Alienists can be so much fun to run, especially if you have a DM who will work with you.

sckeener

First Post
Rackhir said:
Hehe. It's nice to be mentioned in the same breath as Sep's Story hour...

RE: Conjurer Variants - Since the benefits are based around giving up stuff, if you have a DM who's willing to work with you, there's no real reason why you couldn't make similar trade offs with your character. In general I have found the rapid summoning ability to be absolutely critical to an effective summoning based character. So I would beg, plead and whine to work out some sort of deal for that.

Problem with Rapid Summoning...archivist has no familiar to give up. DM and him would need to figure out something else....

Ditto for Spontaneous Summoning....

Enhanced Summoning probably could be done without too much fuss since Archivist has a scribe scroll feat to give up and can spare the bonus feats

Rackhir

Explorer
sckeener said:
Problem with Rapid Summoning...archivist has no familiar to give up. DM and him would need to figure out something else....

Ditto for Spontaneous Summoning....

Enhanced Summoning probably could be done without too much fuss since Archivist has a scribe scroll feat to give up and can spare the bonus feats

Yes, thus the use of phrases such as "...DM who's WILLING to WORK with you," and "...make SIMILAR trade offs." in my post.

Of course the Alienst/Archivist is already going to be loosing some benefits of the class since he doesn't have a familiar to benefit from the stacking class levels or the pseudonatural template. So they are already loosing out and that could substitute.

In any case, it's not like summoning creatures is overpowering or the munchkin's favorite choice. Summoning is already a sub-optimal choice and most of those benefits just bring it into line with the effectiveness of more conventional choices.

Nyeshet

First Post
Since Rapid Summons replaces Summon Familiar - which is a feat, were I his DM I would require he spend a feat to take it. I would add in pre-reqs such as Spell Focus (Conjuration) and Augment Summoning, but from his example character above it seems he's already taken those.

And I agree, Archivist seems almost meant for the Alienist. The two concepts just mesh so very well together.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
There are several feats that expand on the darker knowledge you could take.

You could also check out Lords of Madness to help expand on the concept.

Otherwise I was thinking of going this route with my factotum archavist

Remove ads