D&D 5E Are 5e Saving Throws Boring?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
The nature of saves is similar to ability checks and even attack rolls really. How much you do with them depends a lot on the table IMO. We generally role-play/story 1's and 20's on saves and ability checks akin to critical hits (and fumbles if you use them).

Really, there isn't any more than that unless you want to add it. Should there be? Well, I wouldn't find it essential to the mechanic or enjoyment of the game, but I can understand how others might like something.

dave2008

Legend
It still completely eliminates the ability to crit with spells. Having choices that allow me to roll a 20 for special effects is much more satisfying, IMO, than the DM just telling me something succeeds or fails. Not to mention that there's a ton of design space for bonus effects like wild magic or meta magic upon critical success of magic casting. Just the idea of having special riders and additional effects that proc on a spell crit is much more juicy than the saving throws we have now.
There was a UA article providing guidelines for players rolling attacks instead of DMs rolling saves

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
There was a UA article providing guidelines for players rolling attacks instead of DMs rolling saves

I've read the math was wrong because d30 starts at 1 and proper formula is... 8+statmod+misc bonuses+d20 vrs prof(if prof) +statmod+misc+22. I use it for player save vrs whatever spells and abilities vrs monsters (it can crit fail and crit) and its a big help at speeding things up. The attack roll is prof+statmod+misc+22 vrs d20+ac and I use it for monster attacks vrs pcs it really speeds things up

My players didn't like being subjected to saving attacks or having an attack DC so meh

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I've read the math was wrong because d30 starts at 1 and proper formula is... 8+statmod+misc bonuses+d20 vrs prof(if prof) +statmod+misc+22. I use it for player save vrs whatever spells and abilities vrs monsters (it can crit fail and crit) and its a big help at speeding things up. The attack roll is prof+statmod+misc+22 vrs d20+ac and I use it for monster attacks vrs pcs it really speeds things up

My players didn't like being subjected to saving attacks or having an attack DC so meh
I just fixed the math error myself to get the same probability. That was simple enough. It’s just my players prefer the enemies make the saving throw roll.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I just fixed the math error myself to get the same probability. That was simple enough. It’s just my players prefer the enemies make the saving throw roll.
It makes it soo much easier/smoother to have 20 zombies(or whateverhypothetical big group) hit by a saving attack :D I'd suggest offering "nat 20 with a fireball/ligningbolt/etc crits" & they might rethink their preference :D

Announce someone is making a Saving Throw at the gaming table, and nobody pays much attention...too hum drum, too common.
Honestly, it's no different with attack rolls. If an ogre swings its club, nobody really cares, because the outcome isn't possibly exciting. The game expects you to be the target of dozens of attacks every day, and it expects you to get hit on a regular basis. Why would anyone care? Why would anyone care whether they take 23 damage or 11 damage, when they're just going to heal back up regardless, after the fight?

Fixing these issues would require addressing the fundamental expectations of the game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
What can you expect from a mechanic that only exists because it's a sacred cow?

I don't know how a mechanic that's changed radically into something completely different from edition to edition can be considered a sacred cow. The name "saving throw" might have stayed the same, but it used to be separated by category: poison, dragon breath, spells, etc, then by fortitude, reflex, etc, and now to an enhanced ability check.

But in all cases, it exists because it's an important mechanic that has meaning. It's the mechanic to reflect a core tenet of fantasy heroic stories. I.e., dodging out of the way of the flaming breath weapon, or fighting through the effects of a deadly poison, or resisting the mental spell attack the evil wizard is attempting.

dagger

Adventurer
I find the kids gloves version of 5e saving throws kind of boring and prefer the way it’s done in older editions.

Save or suck adds lots of tension and is fun as hell.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I find the kids gloves version of 5e saving throws kind of boring and prefer the way it’s done in older editions.

Save or suck adds lots of tension and is fun as hell.
It kinda did, few things in 5e have the kind of tension you see when the gm has a beholder out & utters the words "make a save for..." while pointing at someone, but the 3.5 version resulted in things being pretty far into rocket tag & that had its own set of problems

Remove ads