• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are ability score caps adjusted by racial modifiers, or does every race have the same potential?

variant

Adventurer
an alternative (to still have racial cap differences) is to cap everyone at 18+racial bonus, instead of 20, so that only races with a +2 in a certain ability can reach 20, the others only reach 18.

I think this would be a lot less problematic than increasing the maximum past 20. Most characters aren't going to have more than one 20 to begin with. Might want to make an exception for humans though. They could choose one ability score that could reach 20 if they are standard, or the level 1 feat they get determines it.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
My problem with increasing the maximums for demihumans is the minimal power creep and that the demihumans get another advantage over humans.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I dont mind all races capping at 20 on everything. The stat bonuss just suggest certain races tend to be stronger, more agile, etc, but particular individuals canbreak the mould.

Goemoe

Explorer
For instance, I could see a valid house rule where different races have a higher cap of 22 on their "specialty" abilities, like so:

Dwarves - Con
Elves - Int and/or Dex
Halflings - Dex
Half-orcs - Str
Gnomes - Cookie Making

Sounds most useful for me. The other idea in capping at 18 plus racial bonus is quite annoying for humans. A player rolling up several 18s on creation can ignore the racial bonus of humans for those stats completely, since 19s get you nothing. Well, we use a pointbuy system, but for those rolling the stats up...

Last edited:

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I dont mind all races capping at 20 on everything. The stat bonuss just suggest certain races tend to be stronger, more agile, etc, but particular individuals canbreak the mould.
I agree. Thinking that a human doesn't have the potential to be just as strong as a half-orc sounds... racist. :)

doghead

thotd
I like the new Attribute generation rules. The cap at 15 for point buy makes 18's notable rather then normal.

I am not so keen on the way racial bonuses are handled. I like the idea that elves are more graceful, dwarves tougher and half-orcs stronger than men. Sure, there might be mighty warrior capable of matching up to a half-orc warrior, but not a mighty half-orc warrior. So it was in the stories I read growing up. The human bonuses to everything are a part of a trend to homogenisation that I am less keen on.

thotd

Gamgee

First Post
I agree. Thinking that a human doesn't have the potential to be just as strong as a half-orc sounds... racist. :)

Well depending on the genetics. One would think that mixing two species would create a creature in between, but that just isn't so. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

So it all depends on the genetics of human and orc cross species breeding really. So you have a point, but it's also no guarantee. It's also typical that if half-orcs are going to be bigger than they will always be bigger than both parent species. So when you make a ruling then you got to stick to it.

Edit
I should also note the liger situation is a rare situation. Most don't mix and then make something bigger.

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything

Exactly. the average halfling will be more agile than a half-orc, and the average half-orc will most undoubtedly be stronger. Adventurers are not average. So what if a mid-level halfling is as strong as a half-orc? That one Schwarzenegger of a halfling is the very rare, once-in-a-lifetime hero. And while yes physically a halfling shouldn't get as strong as a half-orc, as others have pointed out, the +1 difference isn't a big deal, and I a fine with a house rule to boost the caps a small amount. But for evenness and consistency a hard cap works for me.

Posted as Fenris

Remove ads