D&D 5E Are D&D sales declining? Teos Abadia takes a look.

Alphastream

Adventurer
That’s a lot more sales. I wonder if this means the special edition of the PHB too? Maybe but I bet it’s a much smaller difference.
It is, but in theory would be applied consistent to other sales. We know BookScan is partial. But it should be big enough that the sales ratios should hold. So, maybe VR having an alt cover helps it catch up to a book that lacks an alt cover. But otherwise this is not going to change much.

The big news here is to me separate: that the alt covers equal 10s of thousands. Even if it's 20k in sales, that is substantial additional sales for very little extra work! And it means that just the alt covers are seeing 10s of thousands of sales largely in gaming stores. Stores are clearly still important to sales.

darjr

I crit!
The big news here is to me separate: that the alt covers equal 10s of thousands. Even if it's 20k in sales, that is substantial additional sales for very little extra work! And it means that just the alt covers are seeing 10s of thousands of sales largely in gaming stores. Stores are clearly still important to sales.
It is nice to have facts out there to back that up.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It is, but in theory would be applied consistent to other sales. We know BookScan is partial. But it should be big enough that the sales ratios should hold. So, maybe VR having an alt cover helps it catch up to a book that lacks an alt cover. But otherwise this is not going to change much.

If many of those sales were moved from Bookscan venues to FLGS because of the special cover, it could actually make a difference in Bookscan without indicating that total sales were effected. So of 10,000+ people qhould have bought Van Richtens at B&N got it at the FLGS instead, the numbers may be flawed.

And when you break 5E into era, I noted previously that the first shift actually coincided with every book having a Special Edition (every book ince Ghosts of Saltmarsh in 2019, excepting the Critical Role books).

Remove ads