Are Druids regarded as the most powerful class in 3.5?

Moon-Lancer

First Post
in a non core game (about the archer claric) thier was a spell in compendum that gave the effect of wind wall in all directions (and moved with the druid) let the druid fly and shoot lightning out of his eyes. It was a level 5 spell though. all i could think of though was that would make for an awsome cinimatic (if the druid has a hat from little chinatown)

Within core, they might not be "the best" but they're very strong. IMO Natural Spellcasting is overpowered.

Wildshape has gone through so many permutations I wonder which version each person is using :) The oldest version that I recall let you keep your items while wildshaped, which wasn't good for stealth (look, that squirrel has a magical cloak!) but now you can't do that. Alas, that means that some items you shouldn't lose* (like your Periapt of Wisdom) get lost and that causes all kinds of annoying spell loss. Still, the newest version lets you fly and cast Summon Spells and Call Lightning (Storm) on the sly. IMO the summoned animals are superior (in terms of raw combat) than fiendish/celestial animals, although their Int 2 and inability to communicate reduces their usefulness; but then druids can summon elementals spontaneously, along with unicorns.

* If only because it adds complexity to the game. IMO, you shouldn't gain or lose spell slots unless you've changed your ability score for 24 hours. Now, if you wildshape all the time...

IMO, clerics have the edge due to having a better variety of spells, but druids do have good spells in most areas. In a dungeon, the druid has fewer useful spells, but still has many that are useful. IMO, one of the biggest problems with a druid is taking your Int 2 animal through some really harsh dungeon. Let's hope you maxed out your Handle Animal when you have to run alongside your companion through the smoke-filled hallway o' doom!

el-remmen said:
Wildshape abuse is easily countered by ruling that they can only adopt of the form of creatures they are familiar with. . . Never seen a dire bear? well, you can't turn into one.

Dire bears aren't broken, so I don't see why a DM can't use them. (They might be a tad under-CR'ed, but Wild Shape is way too flexible for balance.) If the DM can't use a reasonably balanced monster because of a player ability, I don't blame the monster ... or even the DM.

Sir Elton

First Post
krunchyfrogg said:
If so, why?

I've never actually played 3.5, and I'm kinda curious as to the thinking behind this.

The last time I played, it was 3.0, and Clerics were thought of as the "best class" for power.

The Elementalist from Occult Lore. Not a great BAB, or weapon selection, but the spells I designed for the class packs quite a wonderful whallop. The spells range from weak to God-Like. an Elementalist from Occult Lore can go from creating a breeze to making Acid Rain out of a rainstorm.

RedFox

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
Hmm... depends on your view, but it's basically this rundown: Druids don't have that much weaknesses:

They have a decent HD and BAB, get a bunch of skills, and some spells are on-par with the Sor/Wiz list. And they mainly rely on Wisdom.

Because, from 6th level onwards, you can use Natural Spell to cast in Wildshape. Which lasts 1 hour/level and can be used 2/day on sixth, meaning the druid is 12h per day a brutal, spellcasting beast, with boosted physical abilities (due to the Wildshape), assisted by a rabid animal (his companion). Plus they can spam summoned allies.

And on lower levels, the companion is already very tough, almost competing with a Fighter.

That's the basic run down.

At third level, our Druid's animal companion was outshining me (a melee Paladin) in combat, and is pretty much the main tank. She took a wolf companion, and the added HD as a companion made it large size, with all that entails... PLUS the druid bonuses. The thing's a monster.

Slife

First Post
el-remmen said:
Wildshape abuse is easily countered by ruling that they can only adopt of the form of creatures they are familiar with. . . Never seen a dire bear? well, you can't turn into one.

OK. I choose a dire bear animal companion. Now you have two bears to worry about.

Hammerhead said:
The Animal Companion probably trips or grapples like a mofo...far better than the cleric could likely contend with. Can an AMF'd Cleric win a grapple against a dire bear? I don't think so!

One counterpoint to the druid's awesomeness is the fact that we're considering single class characters. A druid can't get too much out of prestige classes (unless they don't care about either wild shape or spellcasting), whereas there are several great PrCs for the cleric.
Planar shepherd.

Technik4

First Post
She took a wolf companion, and the added HD as a companion made it large size, with all that entails...

Animal Companions do not grow in size, RAW. I'm playing a gnome druid right now. So far my small snake companion is pretty effective, with a high AC, decent attack, and nasty poison (albeit with very low DC).

Druid's Planar Ranger PrC class seems kind of powerful. In a recent game the GM told me Halfling Outrider was broken and suggested Planar Ranger instead (???).

As far as I can tell, as a Planar Ranger you can easily get multiple wish or miracle spells a day with no exp or material component costs so. . .

RedFox

First Post
Technik4 said:
Animal Companions do not grow in size, RAW. I'm playing a gnome druid right now. So far my small snake companion is pretty effective, with a high AC, decent attack, and nasty poison (albeit with very low DC).

Reference, please? We hunted, and the only rule we could find is that when monsters gain HD commensurate with their new size category, they grow into the new size category. The Animal Companion write-up and the MM both had no special exception text.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Slife said:
Planar shepherd.

QFT.

I used to say that Clerics got the "out of Core" advantage because they have better PrCs, and their PrCs don't cost them any class abilities (except for Turn Undead, but who cares, since you're using that for Persistent Divine Metamagic anyway).

But now... Druids have the PrC advantage. In a really gross way.

Cheers, -- N

mirivor

First Post
I feel compelled to speak.

I have played a druid several times. I definitely support the idea that they are far and away the most versatile class in all but social situations.

The problem that I see so far, in fairness to all classes, is that this thread, like many others, only accounts for physical confrontation.

A druid is still a druid. He still has obligations to nature, evil or good. This is where a lot of classes get nipped as far as general power level. A druid has sworn oaths to defend nature, essentially. He may defend nature's cruelty or its beauty but he still defends it.

In fact my group (I confess that we are all older gamers who have generally speaking stopped worrying about the mechanics) has foresworn the class. What motivation, unless the game is crafted with the pc in mind, would compel a druid to stick with a group? The druid wants to tend his mountains, his forest, his swamp, etc. He has no desire to go meandering about the globe fixing everyones' problems. Sure, one or two issues might involve him, but generally speaking I think that druids should be NPCs or relegated to special games that will involve a lot of wilderness (think Ptolus in the woods).

Just my two bits.

Remove ads