• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Gnolls Derived From Any Real Mythology?

Gez

First Post
The Displacer Beast looks like a creature from the Voyage of the Space Beagle, by Van Voght. This chapter was published as a stand-alone with the title "Black Destroyer". The creature was called a Couerl, IIRC. (And a Zorl in the French translation, don't ask me why, Couerl would have been fine.)

Kobold is just German for "goblin". Kobolds were supposed to be keepers of the burried treasures -- like ore in a mine, for example. You were well inspired to leave gifts to kobolds, so that they would lead you to rich veins of ore. Otherwise, they would punish your stinginess with firedamps or cave-ins.

"Kobold" has the same etymology as "cobalt". This blue metal was thought to be "goblin silver".

Zaster

First Post
And I also thought the Ettin was a creation of Gygax or Arneson until I heard the word mentioned in Beowulf. Anyone know the deal with that?
Probably the anglicised prononciation of Jotun (the old Norse word for giant), but I'm just guessing there.

Filby

First Post
I think the ettin/jotun connection is more or less right, though ettins as two-headed giants come from Scotland. I recall reading a Scottish fairy tale called 'The Red Ettin' featuring a giant with not two but three heads.

Also, I might note that 'ettin' is the word from which Tolkien derived 'ent', and also used it to refer to Trolls and other giants, and it survives in the name of the Ettenmoors, the rugged land north of Rivendell.

Excalatus

First Post
The "oll" in gnoll is pronounced like the one in "toll", right?

I hate pronunciation. You can never be sure how to say something without hearing it first.

nikolai

First Post
Gnolls come - very indirectly - from Dunsany. See in the Book of Wonder, How Nuth would have practised his art upon the gnoles.

http://www.sff.net/people/DoyleMacdonald/d_nuth.htm

John D. Rateliff said:
Dunsany's stories, being short and self-contained, make ideal stand-alone scenarios; there is more often than not a character, location, or plot-idea in each one that would enrich any fantasy campaign. His specific contributions to D&D are harder to trace, aside from his providing the name of the gnolls (acknowledged by Gygax and Arneson in the "Monsters & Treasure" booklet for the first-edition D&D game [1974] -- although Dunsany's own "gnoles" were quite different, and far more dangerous and impressive)...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/classicsdunsany

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads