• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are gold coins universal?

In your world, are all gold coins acceptable just about anywhere?

• 1gp is 1gp doesn't matter where it is from, or where you are.

Votes: 93 65.0%
  • Different countries mint different coins, you will often need to convert currency.

Votes: 50 35.0%

shilsen

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
1 gp is 1 gp in my games. I can appreciate the realism of having different coins of different weight/values, but the small bit of atmosphere isn't worth the additional bookkeeping, IMO.

Jdvn1 said:
Seconded.

Thirded. Technically some coins may differ and there may be currency exchange occurring, but that all happens off-camera, so to say. It's like the fact that I never bring up how much the PCs are spending on accommodation and food. It's assumed that the money they have is actually a little greater than the numbers show and the excess is being spent on mundane purchases.

MonsterMash

First Post
Usually I have worked on the basis of a gold is a gold, but I keep meaning to bring in different realms coinages for the different city states in the Wilderlands and when (if ever) I run my homebrew it will have different coin systems with different states and exchange rates.

Zappo

Explorer
Gold is gold. I've tried to do otherwise every now and then, but it adds very little to the game in comparison with the hassle of conversions.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
1 gp is 1 gp in my games. I can appreciate the realism of having different coins of different weight/values, but the small bit of atmosphere isn't worth the additional bookkeeping, IMO.

Same here. Its not worth the hassle of keeping track which nation's coins you have.

Jürgen Hubert

First Post
I just turned 30 last week. And at this time of my life, I simply don't have the time to deal with converting various fictional currencies into each other... ;)

Dextolen

Community Supporter
Only in rare cases - such as visiting a land where precious metals are not valued, do we even bat an eye about currency. Like others have said, we don't have the time to mess with it or the desire.

Henry

Autoexreginated
While it would be nice, I usually don't have the presence of thought to deal with it - it bogs the game down a bit for us.

Psion

Adventurer
I see gold peices as "placeholders" or generic "wealth points". It may represent any of a variety of coinage. I don't really concern myself too much with the details (unless it's important to the game).

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Coredump said:
So, is it safe to assume that all gold coins are acceptable in your world? Or do you need to 'convert' them to local currency.
At first I was a bit confused by what you meant and was going to answer "On Krynn gold coins aren't worth much".

But re-reading the question I'd have to say yes. All countries in my campaigns have the same values for coins of the same material.

Remove ads