D&D 5E Are humanoid mono-cultures being replaced with the Rule of Three?

Xeviat

Hero
You don’t have to describe the full diversity of the culture. Just not talking in absolutes would be a big improvement.
Def.

Talk to people from other countries about USers/Americans and you'll get certain generalities. Does everyone fit them? No, definitely not, but that's not how people categorize things.

(Loud, generous, friendly, and a smaller personal space bubble are some of the traits I've heard those outside of the US label Americans with).

Reynard

Legend
I don't care about inherently evil races. I think the complaints about them are overblown. The problem is taking inherently evil races and then putting them in a space that allows exceptions -- because now it is not "inherent" and it is problematic. If you say, "Orcs are horrible monsters created by The Dark Lord from the tortured souls of elves to hunt and murder the Free People," you don't actually have a problem. Grognak the Orc Paladin creates the problem. Don't do Grognak and the problem goes away. I mean, we don't have this discussion about Ghouls.

Xeviat

Hero
I don't care about inherently evil races. I think the complaints about them are overblown. The problem is taking inherently evil races and then putting them in a space that allows exceptions -- because now it is not "inherent" and it is problematic. If you say, "Orcs are horrible monsters created by The Dark Lord from the tortured souls of elves to hunt and murder the Free People," you don't actually have a problem. Grognak the Orc Paladin creates the problem. Don't do Grognak and the problem goes away. I mean, we don't have this discussion about Ghouls.
A lot of people from often demonized groups have disagreed.

Yaarel

He Mage
Tashas solved all of my difficulties with the 5e elves.

For example, I like my "High Elves" to be dexterous and intelligent Eldritch Knights but my "Sky Elves" to be charismatic and intelligent Bards. Now with Tashas I can use the standard High Elf entry for both cultures.

I assume each culture has a wide variety of individuals, so exceptionally strong High Elves also exist.

Similarly, the Drow Elf and Wood Elf. For example, classic Drow culture is Dex first and foremost, with Intelligence and Wisdom also significant. But as a gestalt of all of the D&D versions of Drow, I prefer the Drow to be Dex and Cha, with females being Dex Paladins and males being Sorcerers. But again, even if the culture privileges individuals with these stats and gender divisions, the Drow themselves are diverse.

The decision to make the +2/+1 part of the ability score generation rather than part of the race choice, makes all of the existing Elf rules easier to use. As a DM, I can officially worldbuild specific and unique elven cultures and subcultures using normal rules. As a player, I can explore a specific Elf archetype that I want, according to the rules-as-written.

I no longer need more elf subraces. With Tashas, much of the Elf subraces that already exist in 5e can now easily consolidate to a fewer number of salient concepts, without any loss. For example, the Eladrin is more like a High Elf culture with swappable cantrip. Because a Wood Elf can now be strong, there is little need for a future Grugach Elf as a separate subrace − it is moreso a specific culture, with spears and bows instead of swords and bows, and maybe with its own specialized backgrounds.

With regard to future mechanics, I would like more swappable features, like exchanging darkvision and High Elf cantrip for a different feature, like flight or alternate beast form. But adding subraces no longer seems necessary.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
They’re sub-subtypes (because drow is already a subtype of elf), which only kicks the can down the road. If the presentation of Drow was too monolithically evil, the presentation of Unudrow is too, because it hasn’t been changed at all apart from the addition of three more letters in their name. What’s needed is more diversity within the culture, not more different cultures.
But thats what players are for, the book should show that different elf communities have different ways of behaviour due to culture not biology
however even within those cultures individuals have leeway to be themselves.

Remove ads