• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are lessons learned through D&D?

SemperJase

First Post
EricNoah said:

Let me ask you this -- in these roleplaying exercises done by businesses, do they sometimes have one person be the troublemaker and another person be the person responding and learning how to deal with it? Yet I don't believe that the result is an employee who is more likely to act like a troublemaker.

Good point. I would say the purpose of the negative roleplayer (in a training setting) is to illustrate the behavior rather than internalize it for enjoyment.

In contrast, the RPG gamer is enjoying the behavior they are acting out.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Oni said:
Morally speaking, I am of the opinion that Dnd doesn't teach so much as reveal what you brought to the table in the first place.

We're on the same page, Oni. Couldn't have said it better.

EricNoah

Adventurer
SemperJase said:

Good point. I would say the purpose of the negative roleplayer (in a training setting) is to illustrate the behavior rather than internalize it for enjoyment.

In contrast, the RPG gamer is enjoying the behavior they are acting out.

MMm, sort of. I agree about the "illustrating the behavior" part.

But if I'm playing an evil D&D character with a good DM, I'm probably not so much enjoying being evil as I am enjoying learning what it's like (vicariously). Enjoying the enlightenment I might be getting from it.

What would you say about DMs -- they're constantly playing evil characters. Are they in danger?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Theuderic said:
Hey man I wasn't joking! What gives man? Why are you being mean to me? Can't I give a guy a compliment? Is that something a moderator should say to someone? I find that highly insulting.

*applies cool, damp cloth to Theuderic's forehead*

There there, you just lie down, I'll get you a glass of water.

Theuderic

First Post
Theuderic said:
Hey man I wasn't joking! What gives man? Why are you being mean to me? Can't I give a guy a compliment? Is that something a moderator should say to someone? I find that highly insulting. [/QUOTE

:confused:

SemperJase

First Post
Oni said:
Morally speaking, I am of the opinion that Dnd doesn't teach so much as reveal what you brought to the table in the first place.

I see truth in this as well. It also supports a view I have (which I was attacked for in another thread) that I do not find people who truly enjoy playing out rape scenes to be trustworthy.

Edit:
Reminds me of a guy I knew who you couldn't trust as far as you could throw him. He constantly talked about screwing people over in sales deals. His own best friend didn't really trust him. The guy definitely brought that to the gaming table in his characters.
The DM never (well, rarely) implemented any consequences for those in game screw-your-buddy actions he did indicating the behavior was acceptable.

In the end though, while this is fun to discuss, the game is really about fun and being social, and not playing out some moral lesson.

True, this is a discussion of one aspect of the game, not the entire game.

Last edited:

Tiefling

First Post
Heh. He's been asked the "Shouldn't DMs be going insane?" question a lot. His answer is this:

DMs don't get as involved in their characters as players do. And if they do, then they run the same risk. Unless they're doing it in order to tell a story with a moral to it, in which case it's okay.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Theuderic said:
Well thats very mature of you I can honestly say you have earned my respect.

Right back atcha, babe!

Seriously, you walk into a thread and instead of commenting on the thread you insult one of the posters for his opinion? Not cool by any stretch of the imagination.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads