• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are lessons learned through D&D?

EricNoah

Adventurer
Tiefling said:
Heh. He's been asked the "Shouldn't DMs be going insane?" question a lot. His answer is this:

DMs don't get as involved in their characters as players do. And if they do, then they run the same risk. Unless they're doing it in order to tell a story with a moral to it, in which case it's okay.

If that's the argument, I don't buy it. :) I think the player can also be part of the storytelling, and they (the player and the DM together) can both be learning and teaching together and participating in a story with a moral to it. Whether it's the DM being evil repeatedly but with different character or the player being evil with one character but for many sessions.

Theuderic

First Post
Theuderic said:
Tielfling, I must say that you have impressed me greatly.

This is an insult? I think you just chose to see it that way. I said i wasn't joking. Atleast try to understand how I could've been serious. I was merely saying that I agreed with the man totally and I was greatly influenced by what he said. Please aplogize. If I have offended anyone I'm sorry!

Tewligan

First Post
Well, I'm sure this has been brought up in one of the previous incarnations of this thread, but what the heck. What about the film or stage actor who plays a villain? Playing the baddie in a movie is a lot more immersive than doing it around the kitchen table once a week or so. Are Christopher Lee or Anthony Hopkins any the worse for wear after some of the roles they've played?

Tiefling

First Post
Theuderic: I think he just got confused by the "All I can say, Tiefling, is typical, so typical..." thing. But I'm sure you were just channeling Orcus. So no harm done. :)

Tewligan: To that, he has responded with anecdotal evidence of two actors who found that they were getting affected by their roles. IIRC one just said that he was getting depressed or sick of the part or something, while the other said he started "being mean" to people.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Theuderic said:
Tiefling, all I can say is typical, so typical........

I chose to interpret that as an insult. It was ... ambiguous ... at best.

And then after that, your comments were so brief and cryptic and so often seemed to focus on Tiefling that it just looked sarcastic.

But note -- I didn't call you out or even make a comment. I did, however, make an incredibly witty pun using the word "influence." For that, I apologize.

And then you chose to take that as an insult. And the circle of life continues...

Tell you what ... Let's just say everyone's a winner and let bygones be bygones.

Theuderic

First Post
Well tiefling to be honest I WAS being serious about being impressed. You have some good ideas ones that i myself have had for sometime now but have never been eloquent enough to voice in so articulate a manner. I think Mr. NOah read more into it than was there. Anyway I'd just like to say that I DO agree with what you have been saying tiefling and sorry if I offended you Mr. Noah.

Tewligan

First Post
Theuderic said:
This is an insult? I think you just chose to see it that way. I said i wasn't joking. Atleast try to understand how I could've been serious. I was merely saying that I agreed with the man totally and I was greatly influenced by what he said. Please aplogize. If I have offended anyone I'm sorry!
It's difficult to see your sincerity shining through with snide comments like:
Tiefling, all I can say is typical, so typical........
My grandmother might say you're being a pill - I would probably use a harsher P-word.

EDIT: Sheesh, I go to reply, and there are like 3 new responses during the time I'm typing - Tiefling beat me to the quotation punch. Sigh...this thread is going to be closed by the time I wake up tomorrow, isn't it, Eric?

Last edited:

Remove ads