Are my Highlnader Dwarves balanced?

Lizard Lips

First Post
I'm trying to put together a subrace of Dwarven Highlanders... Dwarves who spend more time on the surface, but still retain their "Dwarfishness". I think the bonuses Dwarves get against poison and spells and their knowledge of stonecraft are intrinsic to their nature, and can't imagine a Dwarf without them. Since I can't sap their 'extras' to compensate for more bonuses, I've decided to take penalize their stats. Does this work?

Highlander Dwarves

Highlander dwarves are identical to those found in the PHB, but because they are noted for their brashness and impulsiveness, they suffer a -2 to Wisdom. Highlander Dwarves are often placed in conflict with other surface dwelling races and are frequently forced to engage in battle. They recieve a +1 bonus to hit with axes and hammers and they recieve a 5 foot bonus to their movement rate (as with the Dash feat).

Anybody care to comment? Any other ideas for making a race of kilt wearing, berzerker surface dwarves different from their subterranean cousins? Anybody else have interesting Dwarven subraces I can steal?

Andor

First Post
Rather than penalize stats you could alter the racial enemies stuff. Rather than fighting giants and goblins they fight everything that get's to close and so the to hit gobliniods and giant dodge bonuses turn into a free weapon focus battle axe and +5 base move.

Just my 2¢
Andor

Moulin Rogue

First Post
Is the Wisdom penalty in addition to the Charisma hit, that makes them less likely to be bards? Picture an army of feisty Highlander Dwarven war bards coming over a hill, war drums pounding and bagpipes skirling....

Remove ads