D&D 5E Are ranged attacks too good in 5e?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Alot depends here.
no its still halved under the situation where the charge works (no not on fliers) if you are closing to make your attacks and I bet your PAM makes that javelin look really silly and unless you are actually using magic javelins ... the magic weapons will generally make it worse not better

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
That is in the rules.
Yes, my statement is that intentionally depriving the party of food through no fault of their own and then saying "haha, suckers take disadvantage for the entire session because you didn't have a food conjuring spell prepared" was kind of obnoxious.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
no its still halved under the situation where the charge works (no not on fliers) if you are closing to make your attacks and I bet your PAM makes that javelin look really silly and unless you are actually using magic javelins ... the magic weapons will generally make it worse not better
It's not just the damage you deal, it's also the damage the enemy deals to your party and the damage the party deals to it.

A melee only enemy isn't doing anything if you are making it dash up to you for a turn or 2. Even if your damage is lower, your party damage as a whole isn't terrible.

A difference of 5 isn't going to mean that you hit all your attacks that you would have otherwise have missed either.
I'm unsure what the point you're making is? That +5 on a D20 roll isn't automatically going to win? Has anyone suggested it would?
It is always beneficial to go first rather than last in combat. Dex improves your chance to do so.

I am not sure you got my point.

1. No, going first is not always benefical, as you generally want the fireball thrower go first.

2. I spoke about a 5 point difference in initiative, not to hit. So I am confused why you speak about hitting. I also never implied any auto win?

Probably this is why charge is a feat, throwing a javelin is not.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
1. No, going first is not always benefical, as you generally want the fireball thrower go first.
No you just want to remain out of the area of the fireball (*avoid charging at that target that time) and your mage may still go earlier than you... the entire party still wants to go before the enemy so it can potentially gain the ultimate condition dead faster.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Probably this is why charge is a feat, throwing a javelin is not.
As feats go its underpowered even though still tactically advantageous for a melee combatant, I am inclined to allow one to charge and throw a javelin in an enhanced way... (increased range too for instance)

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
I'm not really sure why Charger is a Feat anyways. Charge has existed in the game since at least 1e if not longer, as a thing you can do to get into melee range faster. I thought 5e design was about getting rid of Feats to let you do things you should be able to do anyways, yet here we are.

If anyone could charge outside of people with the (optional!) Feat or14th level Tiger Totem Barbarians, that would make ranged attacks less effective, I think.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I'm not really sure why Charger is a Feat anyways. Charge has existed in the game since at least 1e if not long, as a thing you can do to get into melee range faster. I thought 5e design was about getting rid of Feats to let you do things you should be able to do anyways, yet here we are.

If anyone could charge outside of people with the (optional!) Feat or14th level Tiger Totem Barbarians, that would make ranged attacks less effective, I think.
Its the idea. For me removing charge as an everyman directly nerfed melee combatants. It is still possible enemies may be beyond the benefit of the charge that possibility is still there (including flying to high).... the javelin or other thrown are not completely useless either but the threat radius of melee combatants is increased.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases