• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are Superhero films dying?

Are they?

• Yes - thanks to the occult powers of Martin Scorcese

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • Sorta - but more settling at a lower plateau, because everything that goes up must come down

Votes: 72 58.5%
  • Nope - just a lull; they'll be back, big time

Votes: 24 19.5%

Kaodi

Hero
There were some things in the first season of what What If...? that I absolutely loathed. Hopefully this season each premise will be more consistently good.

pablomaz

Villager
For me, they are. It's been at least eight years since I gave up on them (Winter Soldier was the last I can remember I went to the theater to watch). I watched a few after that: Deadpool, Logan, Wonder Woman, and Black Panther, if I recall correctly, but it was just out of curiosity. I can't stand this type of film anymore.

The screenwriters behind this are also behind Dracula Untold, The Last Witch Hunter, Gods of Egypt, Power Rangers, and Morbius...
This sounds like a premise for the victim selection from a SAW movie.

..Open on a conference locked room flourescents faintly flickering bathing the room in harsh, antiseptic light. Five characters sit uncomfortably around a small conference table table, their ankles cable-locked to the to various anchor points affixed to the walls, the cables threaded to an ominous looking machine.

Hanging above the conference room table just out of reach, a single laptop with a word processing window open, cursor blinking on an empty page and a post-it note pasted to the corner of the screen, 2 words, spelled out in glued-on magazine letters..mADaMe WeB

As the scene opens we hear the gurgling moans of a Kuerig machine and the flourescents go out. A low mechanical whirring sound accompanies a projector rising from a recess in the conference room table.
As the projector comes to life, an eerily serene doll's face covers fills the surface of the vaguely beige office wall..her lips start moving..and without sound, text captions flicker across the wall.
"you know what you've done"
"one"
"last"..
"chance"
"shall we play a game?"
Cut to back yo the conference table.

Bearded victim: uhhh.. think you're on mute..?..no...no...Noooo

Last edited:

Pedro Pascal is apparently confirmed as Reed Richards. Certainly a better choice than John Krasinski - and apparently Krasinski doesn't even want the role - he's too busy producing and writing.

Also Robert Kirkman accidentally revealed Steven Yeun is playing Sentry, who is like, Marvel's equivalent of Superman (even moreso than Captain Marvel), except mentally unwell. Amusing that he is now playing two Superman expys (the other being Invincible though maybe that's technically more Superboy).

From what I understand of current intentions, Marvel/Disney seems to agree with you. Part of this is writers strike impact, but we're only supposedly getting one movie next year and and an uncertain (but probably no more than six, tops, and could be as few as four) TV shows.

Now that doesn't do anything about everyone else who's dropping superhero or superhero-adjacent content, but that's kind of the nature of media competition.

Funny thing is while we're are now only getting 1 Disney Marvel MCU movie next year, we are getting 3 or 4 Marvel Sony SSU movies so we are still getting 4 or 5 marvel comics based movies next year. Marvel decided to cut back to stop the glut just in time for Sony's long planned ramp up. That is funny, stop the "glut" when your partner is ramping production up. Eventually there are supposed to be SSU shows like Silk too.

The DCU Gunnverse at least has nothing next year since Creature Commandos is getting bumped to 2025, although 2024 has the DC Else World's Joker in the Fall.

In Joker bombs then we know the situation is dire.

The Sony movies will be fine, because they don't spend 300 million on movies with relatively unknown Spider characters, but cut the budget to under a 100 million, although given Venom 1 & 2 made good money, so it's budget might be higher.

Remove ads