"Are the Authors of the Dungeon & Dragons Hardcover Adventures Blind to the Plight of DMs?"

G

Guest 6801328

Well, if you were born in the month 3.5 was released, you would be 15 in a little over two months and you'd be about 18 when 3.0 was released. I'm sure the new teenage DMs see three editions past, 18-year-old modules (Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury) as "old school."

That's all true. However I meant "old school" in the sense of 32-page, stand-alone dungeon crawls. Sure, some of those adventures try to include a little bit of world context or roleplaying, but they're all completely recognizable to anybody who played official adventures in the early 80's.

As opposed to the newer "Adventure Paths" that try to be all sandboxy and non-linear and full of exploration and interaction with factions and court intrigue and such.

But, yeah, I shouldn't have used the phrase, if only because so many gamers believe there's a hierarchy based on the date you first played D&D, and if you say things like "old school" it triggers everybody's "It doesn't count as 'old school' unless it was around when I started..." b.s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Satyrn

First Post
Well, if you were born in the month 3.5 was released, you would be 15 in a little over two months and you'd be about 18 when 3.0 was released. I'm sure the new teenage DMs see three editions past, 18-year-old modules (Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury) as "old school."
Quit making me feel old!

. . . And omg! Queen is playing on the radio.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
"It doesn't count as 'old school' unless it was around when I started..."
It isn't 'Ye Olde School'* unless it was already around before I started playing D&D in 1980.
These young whippersnappers !

* Be sure to note the corrected spelling and correct use of phrase.

G

Guest 6801328

There are hundreds of free adventures on dmsguild. How is this niche not currently filled?

There are entire free RPGs on the Internet, so clearly the niche for RPGs is already filled and there's no point in WotC trying to sell an RPG.

Oh, wait....

Hussar

Legend
There are entire free RPGs on the Internet, so clearly the niche for RPGs is already filled and there's no point in WotC trying to sell an RPG.

Oh, wait....

The difference being, DM's Guild is specifically a market place for these niche products. And that marketplace exists because apparently, WotC has zero interest in getting sucked down into the morass of small stuff yet again.

Good grief, constant growth, and record sales, and people STILL think they know better? What's in it for WotC here? To go after these niche markets? Why bother?

D&D Fan: I want small modules!!!
WotC: Here's hundreds of small modules on DM's Guild
D&D Fan: No, these aren't good enough. I want small modules and I want YOU to write them.
WotC: Umm, no. We're not interested in these small time sales.
D&D Fan: BUT I WANNA!!!!

Sorry, but, to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, WotC is not your bitch.

Remove ads