• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are there any good turn-based RPGs?

Zarithar

Adventurer
I agree with the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Torment recommendations. Might and Magic was great back in the day, but would feel really dated now I imagine. Knights of the Old Republic is a great one as well.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Every once in a while I reinstall the Baldur's Gate series and play them through to get my turn-based RPG fix in. Either that or ROMs of some classic RPGs like FF1.

Ron

Explorer
Torment and the two Baldur's Gate games for the PC were pretty good, especially the first one. I am currently playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the Wii and it is excellent.

Darkwolf71

First Post
HeavenShallBurn said:
Every once in a while I reinstall the Baldur's Gate series and play them through to get my turn-based RPG fix in. Either that or ROMs of some classic RPGs like FF1.
I just bought a PSP so I could play the 20th anniversary edition. The updated graphics are simply amazing!

Glyfair

Explorer
Hjorimir said:
Are there any good turn-based RPGs anybody would like to recommend?
While not exactly an RPG, I highly recommend King of Dragon Pass. It's based on Glorantha (the setting used in Runequest & Hero Wars/Heroquest), and is sort of an RPG where the role you are playing is that of a clan rather than an individual.

The replay value in the game is very, very strong. Just do a search and I don't think you'll see many bad reviews at all, and most reviews are raves.

VorpalWarrior69

First Post
Well, they're not set in the fantasy genre, but I'd recommend Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout Tactics and Silent Storm. Of course, these games are only RPG in the sense that you control character growth.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Glyfair said:
While not exactly an RPG, I highly recommend King of Dragon Pass. It's based on Glorantha (the setting used in Runequest & Hero Wars/Heroquest), and is sort of an RPG where the role you are playing is that of a clan rather than an individual.

The replay value in the game is very, very strong. Just do a search and I don't think you'll see many bad reviews at all, and most reviews are raves.
I'll second KoDP. The only problem in the whole game is getting your hands on it. It's next to impossible nowadays.

The game itself works as seasons of the year with you acting as the council of elders of a small village which is trying to expand into a kingdom. During each season you get two choices of things to do with so many options many feel lost at first. There's also a random happening once every season. This could be a troll invasion, gold raining from the sky, ducks demanding that you help them on their quest, someone wanting to challenge one of the council to a duel. The brilliant thing is that there are so many many different random things that every game really is entirely different, and because each and every one of them is presented as a small story you get totally sucked into the world.

Megaton

First Post
Ron said:
Torment and the two Baldur's Gate games for the PC were pretty good, especially the first one. I am currently playing Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the Wii and it is excellent.

I am also playing Fire Emblem (first time player) and it is great.

I also got Advance Wars for DS, which is pretty cool but I'm still learning how to play.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads