D&D 5E Are there any races post-tashas that compare with mountain dwarf for casters?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
IDK about mountain dwarf for armor on a wizard, but I just built a duergar fighter for the RotF campaign and I was giggling when I realized that I got 4 free tool proficiencies without losing anything by swapping out all of my BS racial weapon profs. Between base dwarf, background, and optional swaps, I think that's 6 tool profs on top of what Rune Knight will give.
It's even more for Mountain Dwarf Artificers. Trade your Light and Medium Armor proficiencies, as well as all 4 weapon proficiencies for a one tool each. Then you get one from being a dwarf, thieves' tools and tinker tools and one other tool proficiency of your choice from being an artificer, as well as one from your subclass at level 3. Then, take a background that gives you two tool proficiencies.

That's a grand total of 12 tool proficiencies at level one and an additional at level 3.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's even more for Mountain Dwarf Artificers. Trade your Light and Medium Armor proficiencies, as well as all 4 weapon proficiencies for a one tool each. Then you get one from being a dwarf, thieves' tools and tinker tools and one other tool proficiency of your choice from being an artificer, as well as one from your subclass at level 3. Then, take a background that gives you two tool proficiencies.

That's a grand total of 12 tool proficiencies at level one and an additional at level 3.

With Xanathars and vehicles counting as tools iirc we've been using tool rules a bit.

Sailing boat almost every session.

Yeah, i figured there were ways to get crazy amounts if I was actually chasing that. The thing is that you're usually pretty much set after around 4 though. Thieves tools, a couple of crafting sets, and maybe an instrument for flavor, and you can cover most of any practical need most characters have.

Chaosmancer

Legend

Which I love, since it really gives that feel of "I'm 300 years old and I make stuff."

What stuff?

All stuff.

You can mine the stone and metal, smelt it and carve it, chop down the trees, carve them, gather the sand and blow the glass and literally have made every single item in your house. That is just some fun times for me.

Custom lineage works just fine, giving you +2 to a caster stat, and a feat.

With point buy, +2 really just means you need a 14 in your caster stat instead of a 15 (from Vuman) saving you a few points to allocate elsewhere.

+2 or +1 doesnt matter - it spits out a Stat of 16 or 17, both of which are +3, and both of which raise to +4 at 4th and +5 at 8th.

It might be nice having a second stat +1 higher than normal, but it's also nice to have a feat at 1st level as well!

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Which I love, since it really gives that feel of "I'm 300 years old and I make stuff."

What stuff?

All stuff.

You can mine the stone and metal, smelt it and carve it, chop down the trees, carve them, gather the sand and blow the glass and literally have made every single item in your house. That is just some fun times for me.
I agree, but there are other races that should be just as good at crafting as dwarves (rock gnomes, etc). It's cool, and fits the theme, but the disparity between certain other races is disappointing.

Remove ads