D&D 5E Are there rules about copying or crafting a scroll of protection?

ECMO3

Hero
I have an Elf Wizard with a rather large selection of spells and she is constantly making scrolls. Since she only is in trance 4 hours a night she basically spends every night on the road making spell scrolls (we have a bag of holding full of parchment and ink). She can make a 1st level spell in 2 days, a 2nd level spell in 6 days and a 3rd level scroll in 10 days.

One of the characters asked me if I could copy/clone his scroll of protection from Demons so we have two of them. I don't think I can do that with the scroll crafting rules though. Is this true?

While I am at it what are the rules on reaction scrolls? I have a scroll of shield (found). If it is in my pack with my other scrolls can I whip it out and use it if I get hit? What about Feather Fall? Does not seem like I should be able to unless I already have it out in my hand, but I am not sure.

Last edited:

I think the answers you seek can be found on pg 139 of the DMG:

Spell Scrolls.
A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without providing any material components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible.

If the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect.

Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and the scroll itself crumbles to dust. The level of the spell on the scroll determines the spell's saving throw DC and attack bonus, as well as the scroll's rarity, as shown in the Spell Scroll table.

A wizard spell on a spell scroll can be copied just as spells in spellbooks can be copied. When a spell is copied from a spell scroll, the copier must succeed on an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10 + the spell's level. If the check succeeds, the spell is successfully copied. Whether the check succeeds or fails, the spell scroll is destroyed.

TL;DR: true, you can't copy a non-spell scroll -and- since it takes an action to cast a spell from a scroll, best to copy that Shield spell into your spellbook for future preparation.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Xanathar's has rules for crafting magic items starting on page 128, in the Downtime Activities section. They are general rules, except for spell scrolls and healing potions, so they would cover it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads