Are We Looking At A New RPG Kickstarter Record?

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

strong.jpg

Strongholds & Streaming is a dual Kickstarter - first to produce a 128-page hardcover book about building strongholds and attracting followers for D&D 5th Edition; and then with stretch goals related to Colville's streaming channel.

You can build four stronghold types - keeps, towers, temples, and establishments; these roughly correlate to warriors, arcane casters, divine casters, and rogue-types. The stronghold improves your class abilities, and attracts followers.

Stretch goals include miniatures, more pages, an an adventure (so far - he's blown through all those on there right now already).

You can see this epic Kickstarter here. I've never seen an RPG Kickstarter blow up quite so fast in so short a time!

Matt Colville writes the Critical Role comic, and has worked on various tabletop gaming projects, including the recent Star Trek RPG. He has worked on various mass-combat and starship combat rulesets. In addition, he runs a big YouTube channel about tabletop RPGs (D&D especially).
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
AAaaaand this is the reason I log on once every six months to this place....

Because people intrude on your perfect life by daring to mention their difficulties, and don't like it when you tell them to "move on with life"?

EthanSental

Legend
I don't tend to get overly excited by how big a Kickstarter is or how fast it raised xxx amount of money...this one as well.

The one thing I am excited about is the product itself...looking forward to getting my copy later this year!!!

pogre

Legend
It's a great idea for a supplement.

I'm probably the only one who wishes it did have prices for 10' walls and doors. :heh:

I really enjoy stronghold style play, but I usually have players who are not very interested.

Brodie

Explorer
$782,670 and 9,225 as of my post. That's now more than half of what 7th Sea made in a month. I hope to have some disposable money soon enough (tax return and looming promotion) that I can toss my money at this Kickstarter.

I happened upon Matt Colville's Youtube channel by chance, through a suggested video on my 'recommeded' list one day. The title seemed interesting enough that I gave the half hour video a shot. The man is precise, doesn't ramble (thanks to a homemade teleprompter), is passionate, and is pretty entertaining. He knows the Critical Role crew and has most likely gained a lot fans through that connection. But most importantly, he knows what he's talking about when it comes to being a DM such that his videos make me think I can be a better DM than I am. Does he have a lot role playing game credits to his name? Maybe not the extensive lists some creators have, but he has decades of experience as a DM, actual writing credits (so he knows his way around a story), and he does have some RPG writing credits.

I'm looking forward to this.

mattcolville

Adventurer
I'm probably the only one who wishes it did have prices for 10' walls and doors. :heh:

You are not the only one. It comes up every time I've seen anyone talk about this kind of product over the last 20 years. There's definitely a fantasy of "I want to BUILD my stronghold, gimme some graph paper!"

Hell that's what I did in 1986 when I built my Lyan Paladin's stronghold!

Remove ads

Remove ads