• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are Wizards really all that?

Undrave

Legend
I don't understand this approach for the wizard. The wizard's niche is they are versatile. Hence, many spells. So if you make them limited, then why have a sorcerer or warlock. Wizards are the masters of magic. I have no problem with the way they designed them. Nor do I have any objections to the fighter or paladin or ranger. It just doesn't seem to be an issue at any table or for any campaign I have played or run.

But when you look at it, it is loopy.
It's a bad niche is what it is.

It's fine if their versatility was in their build, but it is also in their day to day load out. You can pick the Diviner for the cool ability and then not pick a single Divination spell and never prepare one if you so choose. What do you loose from that? Maybe it costs more to copy your spells? Big whoop. A Fighter can be built in a myriads of ways, even just out of the PHB, but they can't just switch build mid adventure as if it was like changing a shirt.

It also results in a bland class who's apparently so defined by being 'The Bestest at Magic' that any nerfs is seen as making the class not Wizardly enough. Wizard fans probably won't admit it, but they LIKE to be OP, they THRIVE on being able to destroy a DM's plans entirely with 1 spell they were 'good enough' to prepare for that day. If they can't be OP they whine.
IME players never retreat because either:

1. they think PCs are invincible or
2. the rules don't support retreating because the enemy can pursue and make OAs and/or regular attacks.

#2 is the biggest complaint IME.
Agreed, 5e is terrible at making retreat a reasonable action. Plus, how many video games can you just retreat when facing a boss or a story encounter? Not that many...
I really wish more people were willing to, but in general I think there is more resistance to this idea than to buffing martials.
Wizard fans will find a way to whine either way...
The one Wizard I played was a Transmuter, and it struck me as damn odd when I was filling my spellbook and most of it was anything but Transmutations. I will say though, I think the main reason Wizards don't have limitations on casting now is probably to save WotC time from having to balance the schools of magic against each other to make sure they have equal amounts of spell options are equivalent power.

I don't think that's ever been balanced, to be honest. It sure wasn't in the AD&D era (compare Transmutation to anything else), and 3.5 really made Conjuration a God tier school.
I think this shows that Magic School (which, BTW, are pretty badly designed anyway) is an AWFUL concept to base a subclass on. Especially if you're not gonna enforce the theme and force the Wizard to actually have spells of that school.
Part of the solution is the magic item itself is actively seeking a worthy wielder. Perhaps it item influences the previous wielder to deposit in the path of the Fighter. Or the Fighter’s own teacher and mentor awards it. It requires a backstory. But like any background, there can be some examples, but ultimately the player decide what the backstory of the magic item is.
How about a class that is granted a bonded item that grows in power with them? A magic sword that recognizes you as a strong warrior and slowly grants you more of its abilities? Or a symbiotic armor that evolves in response to your hardships? A cursed gauntlets that is satisfied when you feed it amulets and other magical trinket, and grants you extra powers to keep hunting for more? Could be a bit of a mix-n-match Warlock style class where you pick what your generic adventurer type is like (Warrior or Expert) and then the meat of your subclass is the Item you start with?

Would that be an interesting class?
Yeah, I agree with all this. I stated earlier they can choose to be good at everything. Other classes cannot, especially if we are just using the PHB. But again, I have never really seen it cause a disruption to any table. The balance is loopy, no doubt. But maybe balance doesn't need to exist for an RPG?
If the DM has to do extra work so that one class doesn't overshadow others, then it's a problem. Just because the DM can enforce components and rest schedule, doesn't mean the versatility isn't a problem. The people I play with rarely play Wizard unless it's like... a necromancer. I've seen the Diviner once, played as a proper support character so that was nice, but in general my friends avoid Wizard. They know it's powerful and they also know it's got nothing going on in term of story or fluff.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
A single versatile spell that many high-level wizards memorize.
And that just as many, if not more don't. Wish, Time Stop, Meteor Swarm, Power Word Kill and Gate are all good choices.
Note thst your argument against Tenser’s floating disk (a ritual spell) was “it would have to be cast a bunch of times”.
And you continue to ignore that the disk solves no actual problems. Who gives a fig where the swords are. The wizard has to get them out his backpack or the disk either over enough rounds to completely miss the fight, or attacked ineffectively with just a few of them.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
From a DM side, it becomes more of a challenge designing an adventure or a dungeon that gives everybody an opportunity to shine while trying not to impact player agency or verisimilitude.

From a player side, no one appreciates their niche being stepped on.

Most of the examples have a wizard on their own overshadowing the fighter. In practice, what you are more likely to see is a party characters that end up making the fighter feel redundant.

To harken back to @Maxperson example of 6-8 combat encounters per day, suppose you have a party that is made up of a fighter, cleric, wizard and valor bard. They run through 6-8 combats encounters before resting. The wizard uses Web, Banishment and Fireball to trivialize three of them. The Valor Bard trivializes another two with Eyebite and Hypnotic Pattern. The Trickery Cleric trivializes another encounter with Polymorph. The last two encounters are bypassed by the Wizard and the Bard each casting Dimension Door. The fighter ends the day having contributed very little, and all three casters still have a large number of spells left over.

I've played many games with a mix of casters and martial types. Played up to 20th, the number of combats that were trivialized by a caster could have been counted using only my fingers. Probably have fingers left over. Some of those encounters were set up to make the caster shine. If it wasn't for counterspell (which I kind of hate) or encounters meant for the caster to shine it would probably only need one.

Casters in my games are regularly running out of spell slots at every level of the game. If encounters are regularly trivialized by casters, if the player that wants to contribute to out of combat encounters (not all do) is not involved on a regular basis, it's an issue with the DM not the system. Encounters (combat and non-combat) always have to be designed with the party in mind. 🤷‍♂️

Oofta

Legend
Also, here’s the thing: the two players who played fighters, very unlikely to play fighters again. So to some extent, a self-correcting problem.
If that were true, the fighter would not be a popular class. As far as we know based on DndBeyond numbers they are still the single most popular class out there.

From personal experience, I've played fighters before and it's likely my next PC will be one.

Fanaelialae

Legend
First, let me apologize for upping the temperature. That doesn't help in the discussion, which I promise I am really interested in.

What I am having trouble wrapping my head around, I think, is what you specifically mean by "versatility." I think I came in with the wrong impression believing you meant "versatile just like the wizard in combat" and I don't think that's what you meant. So let's back up and start again.

Assuming we are talking about high level aka mythic fighters from legend and fiction, what are the core traits you associate with those figures that you want to emulate that simultaneously puts them on par with wizards ? Obviously strength of arms -- fighters should be the ones that fight the best. It's in the name. This should include, I take it, some limited use big guns (aka tear a giant's arm off). Next, they are almost always depicted as having superhuman strength and stamina -- not always superman levels, but certainly MCU Captain America levels. Maybe a feature where they get expertise in Athletics? Or they increase things life lifting capacity, jump distance, and movement speed? Finally you mentioned leader of men qualities. Do you mean having "summons" available in the form of soldiers, or warden like inspiration abilities or?
Yeah, same here.

Okay, so I'm always tinkering with a Heartbreaker or two (just something I do to scratch the itch when I'm not gaming or prepping for game). Maybe the ideas for the current Heartbreaker I'm working on would illustrate my intent. Obviously, since this is for a system I'm building, these ideas cannot be ported to 5e 1:1. I'm simply trying to explain the intent.

Apologies, this will be somewhat long winded.

There are three classes in my system. The Warrior (Fighter), Battlemage (Gish), and Magus (Wizard).

Warriors get +10' speed, and Battlemage +5'. This improves with level.

A Warrior gets 3 attacks per round (Battlemage gets 2, Magus gets 1). Except for the Magus, these increase at higher levels.

Attacks can (obviously) be used to make attacks. There are also basic maneuvers like you would see in 5e that can substitute for an attack (grab, shove, etc).

An action that Warriors and Battlemage get is Power Attack. This allows them to make a single attack, but that deals a number of weapon dice equal to your number of attacks. So, for example, a Warrior power attacking with a longsword would deal 3d8+mods damage. A two handed weapon would add additional dice.

I suspect I know what you're thinking - that's mathematically disadvantageous. It's generally better to make 3 attacks at 1d8+5 each than one attack for 3d8+5. However, there are two things. Other characters will have features that can buff your next attack. For example, if your next attack automatically crits, 3d8+5 is better (since it's actually 6d8+5).

The other reason is because you can use power attack for opportunity attacks. Meaning that a warrior's OAs hit with the same force as that of a powerful monster.

In addition to the standard maneuvers, you also have Engage and Press.

Engage is basically the warrior giving special attention to a target. The target suffers disadvantage to attack creatures that aren't engaging it, and also the warrior can make OAs against the target as a free action (but only once per turn). Meaning that, an engaged target can't just let an ally trigger the OA and then walk away from the warrior consequence free.

Press allows the warrior to move their engaged target(s) up to half the warrior's speed. Think of this like when two or more swordsmen are dancing around a battlefield, their swords clashing in a dazzling display. You can't force an enemy into dangerous terrain (though you can drag them to the edge and then Shove them in), and an OA triggered by the Press movement only allows the one making the OA to Engage that target (it doesn't deal damage).

Between the 3 attacks they start with, the improvement to OAs, and the new maneuvers, I believe that a warrior would have strong battlefield control.

And obviously a warrior would get more than just this (this is just the core of melee combat). Probably an ability that improves base weapon ranges. Probably an ability to tear a monster's arm off. Yep, that is in fact on my TODO list. It would likely do a bunch of damage and render the arm unusable if they fail a save (half damage and disadvantage with the arm for short duration of they make the save). It would probably start off as an arm breaking ability at lower levels.

Utility. Everyone gets skills. A bunch at 1st level, and more as they level up. Most likely, every class gets the same amount.

The Battlemage and Magus both get battle magic for free, but other "schools" of magic cost skills.

The Magus must spend at least half their skills on magic. The Battlemage cannot spend more than half their skills on magic. And, to absolutely no one's surprise, the Warrior cannot spend skills on magic.

You can be proficient in a skill. Each skill also has specializations that you can spend skills on once you are proficient. Specializations are abilities that let you do certain specialized aspects of that skill very well. For example, Athletics might have a specialization called Wall Running which let's you do what it says. Intimidation might have a specialization named Terrifying Bellow that allows you to engage all adjacent enemies as an action. Arcana might have a specialization called Artificer that allows you to discern the function of any magical item. So on and so forth.

And, unsurprisingly, at high levels you'd have specializations that allow you to surpass human limits. Tear apart a porticulis as if it were made of paper. Steal someone's sadness. Know something by drawing it forth from the Akashic repository itself.

Magic has greater utility than specializations, but is based on a limited resource (unlike most specializations).

I'd like to reiterate that I'm aware that they couldn't do anything nearly as radical with 5e. It would require an entirely new edition, and might very well be too divergent for D&D. I recognize that.

However, there's no reason that, with the revision, they couldn't take some steps to at least move in a similar direction. For example, earlier in the thread someone proposed moving the Champion movement abilities into the fighter's core class, which I think would be a step in the fight direction. You'd need to replace it with something else in the subclass, but I imagine that professional designers could manage something. Give fighters another skill or two. Give them some decent core class features as they level, even if it's only something like a bonus to the distance you can shove a target. In no way do I think that I will get my ideal fighter, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be made significantly better.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
So much for "the world doesn't level up to match the PCs"...
Not everyone ascribes to that policy, certainly not anyone running "standard' adventures and adventure paths.

But even if you do, it's still usually winds up in that direction. The world may not "level up to the PCs" but PCs will gravitate towards the parts that fit their abilities and skill sets. So whether it's the world adjusting to the PCs or the PCs adjusting to and making their niche in the world - things tend to go in that direction.

And that just as many, if not more don't. Wish, Time Stop, Meteor Swarm, Power Word Kill and Gate are all good choices.
And they are all powerful choices.

And you continue to ignore that the disk solves no actual problems. Who gives a fig where the swords are. The wizard has to get them out his backpack or the disk either over enough rounds to completely miss the fight, or attacked ineffectively with just a few of them.
If the disk is not the problem, why did you dismiss it? And the mule?

Why are you not addressing the fact that the wizard would presumably only transform into a marilith if they had time to pick up the swords before battle, and would otherwise transform into a different creature?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
And they are all powerful choices.

If the disk is not the problem, why did you dismiss it? And the mule?

Why are you not addressing the fact that the wizard would presumably only transform into a marilith if they had time to pick up the swords before battle, and would otherwise transform into a different creature?

At least it's not 3e where the wizard would pen a scroll to summon a Marilith in his free time. Then summon the Marilith to do whatever he needed it to do and still have basically all of his resources to do whatever else needed doing.

Progress (for some, some people liked their casters that far above the pack).

Remove ads