• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Are you a cat person?

Are you a fan of the Tabaxi?

• Yes

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • No

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 13 14.6%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Tabaxi as a core race? Ironclad no.

Tabaxi (or part-Tabaxi) as a very rare option only available after some really interesting and (un)lucky dice rolling? Sure, why not.

Lan-"the cat sitting in my lap disagrees with this post"-efan

Henry

Autoexreginated
Anthropomorphic races do not turn my gears in any way, due to the faddishness to which people cling to them. To each their own, they just do nothing for me.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Every edition has its version of cat-people. And occasionally multiple versions. Tabaxi have yet to derail any game I've run or played in. And haven't put much of a dent in the number of elves either.

Staccat0

First Post
I'm okay with whatever. I've never played with anyone who has role-played a non-human character in an interesting way that justified the fact that they are not human, so any snobbery would be arbitrary.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
Have never been a fan of "exotic" races in general, many of them attract and/or encourage player behaviour that I could do without. I have pretty much no desire to play one of these, I typically play a human. All that being said, Tabaxi have been a huge success with new/newer players (females particularly IME, FWIW). The race has been a great tool to get them excited about the game, roleplaying, and just really engaged without much of those annoying behaviours exotic races can bring out. So, while I don't have them in every game by any means, I have found them super useful and fun for many players so I have to "like" them.

My experience matches yours regarding new players who seem way more interested in seeing characters from Anime or modern fantasy than from traditional fantasy. For example, the first character my wife played was a Hengeyokai because the image in the 4E character builder was a rabbit folk and she got really, really excited she could be one.

I'm not saying this is representative of the entire hobby, but I think having the option is important to widen the hobby.

alienux

Explorer
Personally, I wouldn't play one, but I think they're fine. I have a player who wants to play one in our next game, and I'm happy for her to be a Tabaxi if she enjoys it.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Or, worst of all, playing creepy tiny humans that hang out in gardens, watching you. ALWAYS WATCHING.

At least they're protecting our gardens from black magic.

Every time I hear "only humans allowed" I balk a little bit, but then I remember that I mostly played humans in 3.5 and that one of my favorite campaigns I've played in was a human-only campaign based off of the Thief games, so <shrug>

pogre

Legend
I'm not big on animal races in my campaigns, but I play in a campaign where another player has a Tabaxi PC. It has worked well. The main drawback from my point of view it is tough to find decent miniatures for Tabaxi.

I painted this old Alchemy miniature for him:
tabaxi01.jpg

Remove ads