Are you a Good Witch?...

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Well, in common understanding and pop culture [particularly thanks to Bewitched], I suppose. But among today's witches, that term isn't really used. A male witch is a witch, same as a female. Or, if they are specifically certain branches of the Wiccan, and/or other pagan tradition prone to use the old English (or Anglo-Saxon? I don't recall) roots, perhaps they'll use Wicce and Wicca with the former being the female, if I'm remembering correctly...which I may not be and am not willing to go look right now).

But, given the popularity and implementation of Pathfinder's Witch class and the general [insulting and misleading view] that D&D warlocks making pacts with unspeakable things is a defining feature of witches/witchcraft [a la Christian ignorance/hysterical panic, as exemplified in the U.S. by the Salem trials), and no small part of my own knowledge, studies, and opinions on mythologies, ancient religions, and occult matters, I would like to shy clear of making a "witch" class just [the same as] another "warlock." Though, I will grant, I can see how it could fit and the invocations mechanic could be quite useful for implementing some elements of a true witch class. The flavor, however, must be completely reworked/different.

bmcdaniel

Adventurer
For me, the warlock class has a completely different flavor. Warlocks tend to be very flashy and combat oriented. For me, witches should be more wise and subtle. If warlocks work for you, go for it, but for those of that like more traditional fairytale witches, we can have our own class.

Gilladian

Adventurer
i'd love a witch class or subclass - but I'd mostly use it for NPC's, I expect.

I've only skimmed the first page of the thread, but here's my opinion:

It would have to have a familiar for me to feel that it was anywhere close to true to the folklore basis for a witch. From there, yes, I think potions would also be needed. Maybe not even any spellcasting. Or just curses/hexes. Or maybe only spells that affect the mind, whether harmful or beneficial. Illusions would be good, too. Nothing area-effect really. Witches affect people, not other stuff. Animals, yeah.

If I used a witch, she'd sit in her hut and people would visit her, and things would happen. She could spy on things, know secrets, etc... via her familiar(s), but she would not be a "go adventuring" kind of character. She's the kind who sits in the center of a spider-web and pulls strings. I've always been sad that hags were not more like this.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
For reference (it took me a while to find the old reference again), here is a link to Shadowfoot's old "Witch" class posted on WotC's "wizards.com" site. Warning: Old Material: its posting date was 21 October 2003.

Note that the HTML is so old that it no longer displays properly. Specifically, there is a bulleted list that was originally a numbered list, going from 1 to 20, representing the class benefits that this Witch class bestowed at levels 1 to 20, with "dead levels" (no benefit bestowed) at Levels 2, 4, 8, 9, 11, 15, 16, 17, and 19.

The benefit that recurs is "Dabble," which is bestowed at Levels 1, 10, and 20.

The same thread also contains new Feats (for Edition 3.5 -- remember, this was October, 2003).

It's well worth a read, IMHO.

erwtenpeller

First Post
Well, in common understanding and pop culture [particularly thanks to Bewitched], I suppose. But among today's witches, that term isn't really used. A male witch is a witch, same as a female. Or, if they are specifically certain branches of the Wiccan, and/or other pagan tradition prone to use the old English (or Anglo-Saxon? I don't recall) roots, perhaps they'll use Wicce and Wicca with the former being the female, if I'm remembering correctly...which I may not be and am not willing to go look right now).

But, given the popularity and implementation of Pathfinder's Witch class and the general [insulting and misleading view] that D&D warlocks making pacts with unspeakable things is a defining feature of witches/witchcraft [a la Christian ignorance/hysterical panic, as exemplified in the U.S. by the Salem trials), and no small part of my own knowledge, studies, and opinions on mythologies, ancient religions, and occult matters, I would like to shy clear of making a "witch" class just [the same as] another "warlock." Though, I will grant, I can see how it could fit and the invocations mechanic could be quite useful for implementing some elements of a true witch class. The flavor, however, must be completely reworked/different.

If you want to have a more historical witch, then Druid is the class for you. Wise women and herbal healers.

Remove ads