• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you a Player or GM?

In the last 10 years of gaming....

• I am only the GM and never a Player (100% of play)

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I am almost always the GM (90% of play)

Votes: 84 37.8%
  • I am usually the GM (more than 50% of play)

Votes: 73 32.9%
  • I am only a Player and never GM (100% of play)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I am almost always a Player (90% of play)

Votes: 16 7.2%
  • I am usually a Player (more than 50% of play)

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • I just read RPGs. I don't Play or GM any games.

Votes: 3 1.4%

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I choose "read RPGs". I've played some games, but so few I don't think I really qualify for the category of "player". And I'd like to try GMing, but haven't gotten to it.

Aeolius

Adventurer
why do you GM so much? Technically, as the only RPG I play is Dungeons & Dragons, I am a DM not a GM. "I DM, so that my hags have someone to play with."

why don't you play more instead of GMing so much? As the DM, I get to "play" all of the NPCs, recurring and otherwise.

What's the most fun for you? GMing or playing a PC? Definitely being DM. I enjoy the creation aspect of being DM. Dreaming stuff up is half the fun.

The Green Adam

First Post
I voted for 90% of the time.

I not only agree with your preception but it would seem that the poll seems to illustrate this as well.

I remember that when I was younger you could always tell who the GMs were because they owned more then just the Player's Handbook and the issues of Dragon that covered their race and class. :p

Truth is that, as I've said before in various threads, I love to GM and actually don't enjoy being a player very much. I'm actually playing more now then I have in a long time and its been great.

AD

Ahnehnois

First Post
I voted for 90%, which may be a bit generous because we trade things around.

I DM (I prefer the D) because it is what I am best suited to doing. I want to tell stories, and D&D is a good outlet because you have an audience, you know the audience, and they contribute to your story. I am also too obsessive-compulsive and too much of a micromanager to be a full-time player. I enjoy playing but it just isn't enough.

Initially I was a player like anyone. I got into DMing mainly because the group wanted to try something new. Even during my big gaming periods I ran short campaigns and passed the stick off to other players periodically so I could get a break and so they could learn. I believe (almost) everyone in RPGs should try running the game at some point, but I also believe that the best arrangement of DMing and playing will naturally emerge after a group does this for a while.

Burrito Al Pastor

First Post
I said >90% player, because that's my ideal. I don't really like DMing that much. I only do it because of peer pressure, and because it provides a second-rate fix when I'm not in any games.

Which seems to be "all the time", anymore.

Anybody need a player for an online 4e game? :3

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
90% DMing...

BTW, why do you GM so much? Well, SOMEONE had to do it for our group :) I was the first one to offer to.

Or why don't you play more instead of GMing so much? I'd like to play more, but nobody else really wants to make the commitment to DM regularly. Plus, I like DMing D&D anyway, so it's not like I'm going through something I hate.

What's the most fun for you? GMing or playing a PC? Tough to say. GMing for your usual session, but as a Player there are some awesome moments and feelings you just can't achieve as the DM... but I'm kind of biased, as I've had a lot more chances to DM than play.

I selected 90% DM, even though the last time I was actually a player was close to 2 years ago. I was a 100% player for the first 4-5 years of my gaming life and, apart from about 3 sessions I've been a 100% DM for the last 3 years.

I would expect that most of the people on EN World would be DM's. DM's tend to be people who are more "in" to the game than your average player (although that's not always the case). As a result you would expect more DM's to be discussing D&D on a messageboard.

Olaf the Stout

darjr

I crit!
I love to GM. I love getting that vibe back from players when you really have them enraptured.

I love being a player. I really dig the thrill and adventure. I love the interaction and comradery.

I'm playing and GMing a ton lately and I'll do whichever is required at the moment.

Recently I've been running a lot of RPGA, and that is a blast. It really took me back to running things on the fly with just a few notes, cause I've had to run adventures sight unseen. You only get a few moments to get the gist of things and you gotta run with it. Riff and elaborate and groove on a theme. High adrenaline GMing at it's best.

Even when I've read and digested the adventure I'll tweak and jam and make it my own right there at the table on the fly.

RFisher

Explorer
I went with player more than 50% of the time.

Why? Well, I’m usually one of the two or three people in the group that regularly GM. Since almost everyone in every group I’ve been in takes the GM’s chair occasionally, that means that pretty much no one is GM more than 50% of the time.

What's the most fun for you? GMing or playing a PC?

I don’t think I can say either is more fun.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads