• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you going to buy an EXTRA copy of the PHB?

WyzardWhately

First Post
I generally find that a second PHB is indispensable if I am trying to convert new people to the hobby. Experienced players can damned well get their own...but if I'm trying to talk a couple people into trying this whole D&D thing? Absolutely.

So, I'll probably invest in an extra one for that reason.

duke_Qa

First Post
Go Norway!

I'll be buying a single set of core books myself, and as far as I know most of the players in my group will get their own. My old group never had a problem sharing a single dmg/phb/mm between us though.

well, our groups are usually very varied, think most of the veterans have DM'ed multiple games and systems. Also, they remain skeptical to 4e, but i somehow guess that I will be able to sell this box to one of them after the first session.

Nosey Goblin

Explorer
If I go 4e I'll get a second copy. I like having one for me and one for my players. Of course, if they enjoy the game I'll encourage them to buy thier own to support thier local game store. The spare also comes in handy to lend to new players to read.

Regards,

Shane

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Dragonblade said:
And this attitude is exactly why Wizards is still considering their opening gaming policy. I can't really blame them.

Don't be silly. Not really much point in rehashing the whole "piracy" argument, since the decision makers have already weighed in. WotC books are available in PDF, after all.

The folks who won't buy a PHB in favor of the SRD are probably just going to look for a pirated copy anyhow.

Though, I've never yet met the gamer in person who is invested enough in the game to want a PHB that he wouldn't actually buy a PHB. Sure, I've had players who just never felt the need to own one at all. But I've never met one who wanted a PHB but was too cheap to buy one.

I'd happily match the SRD's usefulness as a way to keep gamers engaged against "lost" sales, all damn day. Browse the SRD at work? Sure. Browse a PHB at work? Not so much.

(I own 4 or 5 PHBs, for the record.)

EDIT: Oh, and "gotcha."

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Depends on how much I like it.

I'm really hoping on a boxed set with a paperback PHB in it.

abeattie

First Post
kennew142 said:
I have ordered a complete set of 4e books from Amazon. On the street date, I will buy one for my wife. She'll let me read it first. She doesn't care that much about rules (so long as we stick to one system), but she'll want the book handy when playing.

Ditto, almost exactly.

I also judge at conventions from time to time, where (unfortunately) PHBs have a habit of walking away. If we have a back-up copy I get less ragey.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
I'd happily match the SRD's usefulness as a way to keep gamers engaged against "lost" sales, all damn day. Browse the SRD at work? Sure. Browse a PHB at work? Not so much.

Heh. SRD is blocked as "gaming*", so I am forced to bring my books in for character maintenance.

This was less cumbersome when I had my own cube (the structural column serving as an ersatz door), instead of now being in a bullpen-style 5-person cube.

Brad

* - And bulletin boards/forums are blocked, yet I'm able to post here. Go figure.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads