D&D 5E Are You Keeping Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes?

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
Yes, I'll keep them, and I won't be buying the new book.

I don't need dozens of new playable species. And I really don't need a new book to tell me that X monster is "typically" evil.

I do like the new way spells are handled for NPC though.

darjr

I crit!
I’ll buy the new book and keep the old ones.

I suspect that DnDBeyond will also, in that I think they’ll give you an option to choose a source among the options. Just a guess though.

Mezuka

Hero
Yes, they are now part of my D&D collection with the rest of my 5e books in storage. I no longer play it, I'm certainly not going to invest in the new books.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Won't be buying the gift set nor do I expect I'll be buying the Monsters of the Multiverse book when it gets released on its own. I don't use the monsters in Volo's or Tome of Foes that often as it is, so I don't need their statblocks updated.

I’m still not 100% sure what the virtue of Mordenkainens Monsters of the Multiverse is if the monsters are all re-prints 🤔

Some attack spells in the stat block and missing alignment doesn’t really equal an improvement for me.

Frankly, the name sounds like a missed opportunities for all those books. Even with the same statblocks, having widely different takes on monsters depending on Volo's or Mordenkainen's point of views and own bias might have warranted buying the same statblocks (for a "how to use..." ideas). But as a reprint (with a few paragraphs missing), I don't see the value.

Stormonu

Legend
Not buying the new book, so yes, I'm keeping the old.

Oddly enough, the Volo's copy I have the spine text doesn't span the entire edge of the book, but it does so on my wife's. I suspect mine is a 1st printing, and I haven't bothered to check if they fixed/changed anything else in my wife's copy (hers was bought around Thanksgiving).

Lyxen

Great Old One
I suspect that DnDBeyond will also, in that I think they’ll give you an option to choose a source among the options. Just a guess though.

That has been their usual policy so far, and I certainly do hope they will do it. Whatever you think of the changes, We have multiple campaigns ongoing and we should not have to modify our characters after the new book comes out.

guachi

Hero
The lore is good in Guide to Monsters and Tome of Foes. Lots of good stuff to make you think and stuff you can add to a game. The stat blocks are just secondary, anyway. There's nothing in Monsters of the Multiverse that would compel me to buy it.

Remove ads