Pathfinder 2E Are you moving from 5E to PF2?

RSIxidor

Adventurer
I probably will try to play some PF2 but 5E will remain my main game. I still really want something in between 5E and Pathfinder but I don't think PF2 is quite how I'd envisioned it. I really love the three-action system, though.

Imaro

Legend
I bought the corebook but I just don't see this replacing 5e for my group, honestly the character sheet alone is going to cause a massive NOPE when I try to get them to play it.

I'll be looking more closely at Pathfinder as I read over the book in the coming days but I'm starting to think my group and I just don't want or need that much complexity in our rpg's. Maybe somewhere down the road we might tire of 5e but right now we have enough options with the splats that I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Anand

2nd Level DM
There is definitely overlap between the 5e Warlock and the PF2 Warlock. It is certainly not perfect, but it is workable. (The playtest version of the PF2 Witch will also be available in October.) There are bloodlines that correspond fairly closely with the available Warlock patrons: GOO (Aberrant), Archfey (Fey, Hag), Fiend (Diabolic, Demonic), Undying (Undead), and Celestial (Angelic).

I assume you mean Sorcerer per the bloodlines, right? I thought that too. He is currently a Fighter 1/Warlock 5, and his patron is Vecna (don't ask :) ). I think the Undying Sorc with a Fighter Archetype might work.

It might be easier to just add the depth you want to your 5e game. There are lots of resources on these forums, UA reddit, and the DMsGuild to help with that task.

Well... It is just much more work, right? I don't want my campaign to start to derail to a lot of customizations when I can have it ready and accessible. I'm already using most of the officially released material for 5E, and there are barely any customizations for the wizard, for example. PF2 brings a lot of interesting character customization just with the Core book, with Class, Skill and Ancestry Feats.

What I expect to be the big reason for the move is to simplify the conversion, as 3E to 5E does not convert monsters very well, but the conversion from 3E to PF2 seems much more straightforward (i.e., I just switch from a Doppleganger 3E to a Doppleganger PF2. 5E very often requires adjusting hp or number of creatures). The main hinder is past content and the addition of magical items.

Thanks for the feedback!

dave2008

Legend
Well... It is just much more work, right?
Not to me. It would be much more difficult for me and my group to completely switch systems. We introduce house rules all the time, so we can do that on the fly. But make a change from 5e to PF2e, that would be a hard stop reboot I would think.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Unlikely any moving over will happen. I am way too please with the ease of prep and running a 5e game is.

I will undoubtedly check PF2 out at some point however. Could be after our Starfinder campaign. My 5e group is pretty solidly in the D&D wagon, so they are unlikely to move over.

neobolts

Explorer
I am currently in a 5e game and will be adding a pf2 game. The two systems specifically appeal to the two sets of players in terms of complexity, mechanics choices, and combat structure. I expect 5e to continue be my main system, as I gravitate towards less rules heavy systems.

Aldarc

Legend
I assume you mean Sorcerer per the bloodlines, right? I thought that too. He is currently a Fighter 1/Warlock 5, and his patron is Vecna (don't ask :) ). I think the Undying Sorc with a Fighter Archetype might work.
Yes, my mistake. I meant that the PF2 Sorcerer can work for the 5e Warlock. They could take Sorcerer (Undead Bloodline) with the Fighter dedication archetype. They will not get armor proficiencies, but armor proficiency in itself does not have the same weight in PF2 as it does in 5e. When they eventually open up Champion options for Neutral and Evil alignments, that would probably be a good choice for your player, since they could declare Vecna as their deity while picking up armor proficiencies.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

While I'm not really "planning on switching", I am planning on giving it a shot. I/we (my group which is currently...semi-disbanded...still all here, but life and all that stuff over summer) tried PF1 for a good year, year and a half'ish? Also did little one-offs every now and then. Enjoyable when we were in the mood for it.

Last we left off was with 5e. I am interested in picking up PF2 and giving it a read and a play through. A good half-dozen sessions should give a nice estimate if we stick with it or put it up on the shelf with the PF1 stuff.

Long Story Short: Not "planning to switch", but definitely "planning to try".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Nebulous

Legend
I probably will try to play some PF2 but 5E will remain my main game. I still really want something in between 5E and Pathfinder but I don't think PF2 is quite how I'd envisioned it. I really love the three-action system, though.

Same here. I've played it twice now, and it's not the "crunchier version of 5e" that I wanted it to be. It is certainly crunchier though, and the variety of characters you can create is a thousand times bigger than 5e. And that 3 action system is great.

Markh3rd

Explorer
Well the game stores I have checked and the b&n store near me aren’t carrying it yet. One game store is hesitant to carry it because they sold none of the play test books so said they would wait and see if any interest came up. They currently have no plans to run PFS either. I guess it’s either amazon or wait. I do prefer to support the stores though.

Remove ads