D&D 5E Are you permanently using any UA material in your games?

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
UA content has not been supported on DDB since last August. If you have a character that has an option selected, it will still work, but you can't pick new options (unless you made home-brewed copies).
I did notice a footnote or whatever in some of my character profiles, so that all makes sense.

We allow more or less all of the skill feats from the previous UA (Brawny in particular gets taken a lot at our table oddly).

We also use the UA ability to let learned spellcasters switch out one spell each long rest and all find it incredibly dumb that that rule didn't make it to print.

Also our artificers are allowed to take the multi-handed pouch from the original UA and we've got a home-brewed version of the gunsmith from the original version.

Used to allow the variant ranger, but since Tasha's alternative abilities we pretty much don't' do that anymore. We do, however, allow the original proposed version for Favored Foe, at least sort of. I just have my players learn the Hunter's Mark spell, and can cast it up to their proficiency modifier times per day as an alternative option to Favored Foe.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Well all UA Paladins are usable in my Klassico setting

This is because the Paladin Oath are actually Orders of divine warriors and their support staff. And when one gets big enough, a group within it might splinter off due to the number of voices.

The Order of Treachery are a splinter order of the Order of the Crown who funded (but not sided with) with a rebellion
The Order of Heroism is a splinter order of the Order of Glory because they attract way too many aspirants.

JEB

Legend
Various UA PC options were allowed (after agreement from all the DMs), but were generally upgraded to published versions when possible. The exceptions to this were the original Warforged, Shifter, and Minotaur, all of which had since been homebrew-modified to some degree, and all of which had been used by one or more players. The Circle of Spores also wasn't updated, but that was largely because our campaign was offlined by Covid well before Tasha's came out...

As for options that never made out of UA, we kept the College of Satire (jesters!), Protection Domain, and the Weapon Mastery and Tool feats (Alchemist, Blade Mastery, Burglar, Fell Handed, Flail Mastery, Gourmand, Master of Disguise, and Spear Mastery). We had one Protection Cleric PC, but I don't know that any of the others were used in play.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
We're using the UA version of the artificer since my friend wanted to play one of the subclasses that never made it official. I think that subclass ended up being turned into a wizard subclass.

jgsugden

Legend
I allow UA materials once they're released. If WotC puts pout official materials, you have to update to them once they're official. If not, you can continue to use the UA article material. Pretty straight forward.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Very rarely do... however I am currently playing a space probe and the Autognome was just too good a fit. I'm glad it's being published soon-ish to be honest.

(artificer? Nope, warlock. Who's my patron? My creators. Who are they? my PC does not know...)

We're using the UA version of the artificer since my friend wanted to play one of the subclasses that never made it official. I think that subclass ended up being turned into a wizard subclass.
The one that became the Order of Scribes wizard? I would be very wary of that, I noticed it was potentially game-breaking in its original form.

Remove ads