• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you stuck to a grid?

psyekl

First Post
In one of my recent threads about mapping, the topic of the importance of grids was brought up and it got me wondering: Just how often do gamers use the grids? Even after the advent of D&D v3 and v3.x, I still only use grids very rarely, and then only if we're using miniatures. As a DM, most of my maps are sketched out on blank paper with just a suggested scale, and combat is run without visual aids (usually).

As for a published product I've come to the conclusion that a grid is desired, but just how many of you use them all the time?

Crothian

First Post
I use grids when I draw maps but that's only becasue I'm lousy with maps and free hand drawing and I need the grids to keep things neat

chris7476

First Post
I use the grid as much as possible. I've actually started to tailor any maps I create to the size of the battlemat (I have a big one). I love the fact that I can draw out a huge portion of the map and have the players go anywhere they want. I find it really opens up combat and gives the battles a "go anywhere" feel.

Aristotle

First Post
Likewise... my players think more tactically with the grid. Without it they tend to just stand in place and hack. Now they are actually looking for the best shot or the best vantage point.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I always draw out the area and use minis (or counters, for games where nobody actually collects them,) for every combat. Maybe others have an easy time remembering where seven orcs and four or more players are all in relation to each other and the topography, but I certainly don't. It gets drawn, and things go from there. Especially with AoOs, you need to be able to see if you have a clear path somewhere, or are passing by somebody else.

And since I can never be quite sure where a combat will wind up, I do all my mapping on a grid, so I can draw it out if conflict arises anywhere on the map.

Thanee

First Post
Combat:

Normally only use grids when there are bigger combats.
Smaller combats are done without battle map, usually.

Mapping:

Depends, but normally grids help judge distances, so aren't too bad for mapping. But often we just draw maps on blank sheets of paper w/o grids.

Bye
Thanee

Mr Vergee

First Post
I normally use published maps, which are printed on grids.

We use the battle mat and the dwarvenforge mastermaze (which has 'gridded' tiles) for every combat, since movement has become an integral part of the game since 3ed.

One more thing, Psyekl, your question "Are you stuck to a grid?" is not exactly objective. I don't feel stuck to a grid at all, actually, having used it for quite some time, I can hardly imagine play without it. Using the grid and movement rules in combat is definitely one of the biggest improvements of the game in comparison to 2ed.

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
For combat, I always use grids. Otherwise, we sometimes do and sometimes don't, depends on whether there is a gridded whiteboard available or not. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads