• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Are you tired of being told you hate 4E?

Are you tired of being called a "hater"?

• Yes, I am tired of being called a "hater", I am not.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • I do "hate" 4E, but don't like being called one.

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • I am a 4E hater and proud of it!

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • We are all just gamers, lets just accept that.

Votes: 70 42.2%

Pbartender

First Post
Umbran said:
The reality is that I'm reserving judgment on the game until I can actually sit and read the rulebooks. I was the same back for 3e - the news we get is intriguing, but I find it insufficient for real decision making.

As for people telling me I like or hate it - clearly, they are incorrect. Beyond that, I don't let it bug me.

I'm with Umbran, adding only that from what I've seen so far and regardless of what I think it, 4E initially seems like it would be a good match for the way my group likes to play D&D... So far as that goes, I'm cautiously optimistic, but restraining myself on a final judgement until I've seen the rules in teir entirety.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
First and foremost, I am a gamer. Game systems are just one thing - a tool to be used in order to game. They help you to determine if actions are successful. They should enhance play, not prohibit it. Above all, they shouldn't be treated as some sort of second coming.

I don't base what game I play based on systems. I base what I play on what sounds fun. I would gladly play AD&D again. I would play 3.5 or Pathfinder. If a certain friend of mine is running a game, I'll be playing True20. I had a blast playing Savage Worlds at Fear the Con. I'm certain I'm going to enjoy 4e. I've also had fun playing C&C, several versions of Star Wars (d6, d20, revised d20, and a Storyteller homebrew), the d10 and d20 versions of L5R, Shadowrun 1e, and so on and so forth.

Why is it that we, as gamers, have such a "versus" mentality? I know, it's human nature. We see it everywhere. Yet in this community, you would think we would support each other just for being a gamer. We've had enough flack from others; we don't need to destroy ourselves from within.

It's okay if we don't like a system. Let's just remember to be respectful of others' opinions, likes, and dislikes.

Treebore

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
I posit these questions. Do you post on GURPS message boards? Do you post on HARP message boards? Are you being called a 4e hater on a 4e message board? If you do post on a 4e message board, if you went to a GURPS or HARP board and posted similar things to what you post on said 4e message board, do you think they would or would not call you a "hater?" If you do not post on 4e message boards, where are you being called a 4e "hater": in a Gaming Store, in your group, by friends?

I tend to post to boards only when I am playing in those games. Since I play "D&D" most of the time I spend most of my time on D&D boards. When I play GURPS, HARP, Traveller, L5R, Shadowrun, etc... I'll post to those boards. I am only doing Twilight 2000 right now, and I know of no message boards for that game.

Treebore

First Post
What gets me is a rarely (actually don't remember ever) see someone say they hate 4E. They say "I don't like.", they say "I don't like it because of X, Y, and Z", or "Its not for me.", but I don't see anyone say they hate 4E. However I see plenty of people say everyone hates 4E.

Like I have never said I hate 4E, I don't remember ever saying I hate 3E. However I see plenty of people call "naysayers" haters of the given game.

Like for me, when it comes to 3E, if I actually hate it, and own hundreds of books, modules, and PDF's for it, I would hate to see how I would have been if I loved 3E. So I laugh when people accuse me of hating 3E.

As for 4E, I really resent it when people say I don't have enough info to form a valid opinion about 4E. I personally have read many, many, many blogs, press type releases, that 5 page thing released at the D&D experience, etc... So I think my opinion of 4E at thsi pont is very valid.

4E isn't a game I am interested in DMing. I could be talked into playing it if I believe the DM is a good on. There are lots of things I have read that tell me I won't like 4E, from monster write ups to description of playtest fighting, excerpts from those $20.00 Preview books, etc....

I will still buy the "core" rules because there are some ideas I think I will want to steal, but playing it won't be any of my intentions.

Hate has nothing to do with that.

Troll Wizard

First Post
I don't like (really dislike) the new 4th edition ruleset. About a few months ago I stopped reading the previews here. It's obvious that the "D&D" brand is headed in a direction and flavor that I really do not find one bit appealing. So oh well, it's obvious that game design has moved on from what I grew up with in the late seventies and early eighties.

Do I bother people about liking 4thE, no, I don't really care. Play what you like, its your time and money. I currently DM for two groups, they already know that I will not run a 4.0 game. Grant you the majority are in my age bracket, 30s to 40s, thus far no one has expressed any positive interest in 4th edition. The only people that have asked if I would run is the rare player I run into from when I ran D&D games at the game palor in Chantilly VA.

As an aside does anyone else find the current sign in/registration system of WOTC's D&D forums absolutely horrid? It never retains my forum accounts (Troll Wizard/Troll Magus) which I have had since ~1999-2000. I finally gave up visiting their forums, and probably have lost those two names. Also I thought they were getting rid of that horrid lime green of their gleemax site last year?

Pants

First Post
Umbran said:
The reality is that I'm reserving judgment on the game until I can actually sit and read the rulebooks. I was the same back for 3e - the news we get is intriguing, but I find it insufficient for real decision making.
Obviously, if people were this thoughtful and rational.... then the internet would be faaaar less interesting.

So people, keep telling me that I haet 4e, that I haet D&D, that I haet 3.5, that I haet WotC, or that I love WotC and that I want to have their giant, dice shaped babies that will stamp the 3rd-party publisher into the ground with its cool, fun, *and* awesome +5 boot. Please, keep telling me that in your incoherent, grammar-hating diatribes, because it is *you* that keeps the internet fun, cool, *and* awesome.

Keep on truckin' people, keep on truckin. :)

Hairfoot

First Post
Pants said:
Please, keep telling me that in your incoherent, grammar-hating diatribes, because it is *you* that keeps the internet fun, cool, *and* awesome.
Yeah. And rouges should be called theif's you 4E loving loosers.

Last edited:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
My group isn't switching because we've spent tons of money on 3.5 and we still feel we can wring some more life out of the rules. None of us are 4e haters. We're just frugal.

Samuel Leming

First Post
I'll reserve my final judgment until I read and play 4e. Based upon what little I've seen so far, I've got some concerns about how well 4e will emulate the genre that traditional D&D derives from. Really don't like being called a hater just for raising an eyebrow at daily martial powers and such.

Now when it comes to the way WotC are promoting 4e, I'm certainly not a fan. It looks like a few of the WotC folks are dismissive of my preferred style of play, and if they had been more open with information we'd see less people jumping to conclusions.

Sam

Remove ads