D&D 5E Arguing, ideating and solution-seeking on the D&D Enworld forum

Overall, which of the following best describes Enworld's D&D forum discussions? (choose THREE)

• A1. Too much arguing

• A2. Just the right amount of arguing

• A3. Not enough arguing

• B1. Too much ideation/brainstorming

• B2. Just the right amount of ideation/brainstorming

• B3. Not enough ideation/brainstorming

• C1: Too many creative solutions

• C2: Just the right amount of creative solutions

• C3: Not enough creative solutions

Results are only viewable after voting.

Transcending history and the world, a tale of dungeons and dragons, eternally retold.

I see the same things argued over and over again, hitting similar notes with only slight variation. A piano here, a pipe organ there. But who am I to say anything about familiar songs? Some people are hearing them for the very first time! Some think they invented the song themselves. Others just love jamming to oldies. But things have become more friendly and welcoming, on the whole! There was too much cowbell back in the day.
And every once in a while, someone finds a way to rephrase something old and make me understand what they were trying to say this whole time.

It's rare, but it's so worth it.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I have to remind myself frequently that I'm not going to change someone's mind over the internet. I even find when someone argues against a point I've made, it just makes me dig my heels in.

I do get frustrated, though, when I try to make a post about a new, creative idea and get a bunch of negative replies. Unfortunately, when I fall to the temptation to argue back, the whole veers off in that direction.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I demand everyone who voted incorrectly for A1, get in here and defend their position.
Sorry, can't help you there; as I voted for A3. :)

Seems like every time a thread is really starting to get to the meat of things it gets shut down, all too often due to people pulling in real-world examples and arguing about those instead of sticking to game-based examples.

But though I don't mind the arguing I'd far rather it be over principles and ideas rather than semantics or word definitions* or people trying to lawyer threads around to a particular viewpoint.

I'm all about the brainstorming and creative solutions, though, and find there's a nice amount of both here.

* - though word-definition arguments often arise due to people using a word or term to mean what they think it means rather than what it does mean.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Sorry, can't help you there; as I voted for A3. :)

Seems like every time a thread is really starting to get to the meat of things it gets shut down, all too often due to people pulling in real-world examples and arguing about those instead of sticking to game-based examples.

But though I don't mind the arguing I'd far rather it be over principles and ideas rather than semantics or word definitions* or people trying to lawyer threads around to a particular viewpoint.

I'm all about the brainstorming and creative solutions, though, and find there's a nice amount of both here.

* - though word-definition arguments often arise due to people using a word or term to mean what they think it means rather than what it does mean.
oddly I agree with you and we tend to end up on opposite sides of a discussion.

Hussar

Legend
I do have a question though.

What the heck is "Ideation"? That's a new one to me. I can understand in context, but, is this some new word I just haven't seen before?

I do 100% agree on the endlessly overpedantic nit picking of points instead of actually addressing the ideas.

Remove ads